Ex-Police Commander

MikeBristol

Ex-Police Commander

Post by MikeBristol » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:43 am

Another one on eBay, coming out from a long hibernation!

item number: 274066532082

BlackIP2

Re: Ex-Police Commander

Post by BlackIP2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Something not quite right with this one being billed as ex-police? No reflective tape anywhere for a start.
Might be another TRRL bike - look at those huge leg guards on the fairing. Can't ever remember seeing those on any production Commander?

Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:26 pm

As you suggest, never a police bike. Originally a Norton demonstrator and then sold to TRRL (now TRL) and became a 'leg protector' demonstrator.
It has a tubular structure inside the fairings to support the tin boxes that were supposed to deform in an accident, requiring much modification to the plumbing and electrics to get it all in.
I rode it once and found the soft padded cushions on the outside of the fairing to be very restrictive of knee movement.
I'm sure I've seen a recent photo showing the butchered side of the fairing removed to show the framework and tin box. Was it Bonhams Stafford a few weeks ago?

I guess many of us have seen the TRRL video, firstly showing how the dummy rider on a standard Commander lost a leg in a glancing blow to a barrier and would have died of blood loss, and then another run showing how the leg protector saved his leg from serious damage - but he was catapulted forward off the bike and 'died' of a broken neck.

Nonetheless, it was very profitable business for Norton, building and re-building crash bikes for TRRL, but beware of any IP2/Commander parts for sale which are painted matt yellow.
Slower slower, no faster faster - the joys of old fogey mode to hooligan mode at the flick of a switch

Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Yup, thought so!
Sold at Bonhams Stafford for £1,150. Photos show it with the side removed and black/yellow tape on the 'leg protector' bits.
Slower slower, no faster faster - the joys of old fogey mode to hooligan mode at the flick of a switch

MikeBristol

Post by MikeBristol » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 am

It didn't sell last time and is on the bay again. I contacted the seller, who says it has TRRL connection but also used by police - at least, has police sign at rear and lights in the fairing (which can be seen in the pictures). Mike

Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:55 pm

I wish I had a better memory!
This bike, #4230, passed final inspection at Shenstone on 30th November 1989 and, according to my records, was a twin seat Commander. As I don't have a copy of the sales records, I don't know to whom it was sold, nor whether it was still a twin seat when sold.
It was first registered at Reading in March 1991 and carries the number H832 GRX. According to DVLA records, it was registered oddly enough as a 'Norton Villiers Triumph'.
Transport Road Research Laboratory, now just TRL, were at Crowthorne, some 10 miles from Reading. I'd suggest it was very probable that TRRL, or a nominee, were the first registered keepers of the bike.
To the best of my knowledge, all Commander police patrol bikes were delivered 'ready to go' fully equipped with blue lights, siren, "Police Stop" rear sign, radio mounts, etc. Some were registered by the factory, or usually registered by the force immediately on receipt and fitting of the Home Office radio equipment. I don't see anything about this bike to suggest it was ever kitted out as a police patrol bike.
Having said all that, and to coin a phrase, "it is what it is" and should be treated as such.

GeoffD

Post by GeoffD » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Is this the bike which can be briefly seen in the background in the episode of Junk & disorderly shown yesterday (Monday 11/11)? When our two friends were looking round the London Motorcycle Museum
The yellow striped tape on the RH leg shield can clearly be seen.
The London Motorcycle Museum, was said to be in the process of being closed down - with some bikes going to Bonham's for auction.

cdrkeith

Post by cdrkeith » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am

Indeed it is.....I don't watch 'Junk & Disorderly' (nice title) but 'our friends' were at also Bonhams auction at Stafford, being filmed. I didn't stay long enough to see what they bid on.

The bike in question went for £1150 inc premium. Nice little earner, if it sells.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25384/#/!