New Forum Member

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Dale

New Forum Member

Post by Dale »

Hi all. I was an ROC member some years ago when I owned a Hercules 2000. Sold it a long time back, and it went Oregon, USA, i then let the membership lapse. Well, I'm now back in the Rotary fold, having acquired a very nice, original Classic with 3800 miles on it, late last year.
I finally managed to convince a very good friend in London (UK) that I really would make a great Custodian. ( I had been pestering him for several years )
He bought it when it was a year old, and I rode it at that time, and was rather impressed. I am in the "wilds of British Columbia" but am not a lumberjack !! What this means though, is I'm still waiting for a change in temperatures, to suit my wimpish nature, to take it for a run.
No trouble importing it, only problem was that it had to have an 'assigned" seventeen digit serial number. I certainly didn't want that, as the licensing authority generates a number, makes up quite a large metal tag, which is then attached with rivets to a suitable place on the bike.Fortunately, a sympathetic official listened to my objections, saying he accepted it as a special vehicle, and approved the five digit number - Yippee !! Consequently, it is now fully street legal - roll on warm spring temperatures.
Cheers, Dale.
Cheers, Dale.
Joe

Re: New Forum Member

Post by Joe »

Hello Dale,

Welcom to the Forum. Thats great news of your recent purchase, there are a few of us Classic owners here and I know you'll love riding it, they are a joy to ride and simple to own and maintain. Having owned a W2000 you'll be no stranger to the various types of oil available. Rotella DD 40 and Silkolene Classic 2T are the two most common with the latter recommended for bikes which are used less frequently.

Regards, Joe.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hi Joe. Thanks for your reply. Silkolene's website doesn't list any distributors in Canada, and from what I read others here have tried to source it, but it is very difficult. I started looking for Rotella diesel mono grade here , but found all the regular stockists only carry multi grades. Purely by chance I found a local marina carries it, as apparently Detroit Diesels are not uncommon in marine use.At least for now I have a supply. Looking forward to taking it for a run, as I still remember the ride I had on it all those years ago. By the way, I'm in Vancouver. Cheers, Dale.
Cheers, Dale.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dale,Welcome to the forum Very Happy,I am one of the Classic owners that Joe has alluded to wink,I have had my bike from new(purchased in 1989)and to date have covered over 60,000 miles,(must be the most used Classic in existence wink)I think Rotories are great cool,may you enjoy yours as much as I have mine,ride safe,J.B.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hi John. Thanks for the welcome. Nice to hear of a Classic being well used, too nice a bike to be kept as an "investment", although I do understand why. Hoping to do some longish trips on mine, but not sure yet. As the Rotella is not too readily available it may be slight problem. My understanding is it should be available at most truck stops -- we shall see.
Cheers, Dale.