w2000 oil mixture

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
ikew2000

w2000 oil mixture

Post by ikew2000 »

I'm new to forum game so please forgive my ignorance. I just purchased 1977 Hercules W2000 has been sitting since 1980. I have it running on chainsaw mix but know that is not correct. I know this engine should have oil injection, the oil injector device above spark plug is there but not working. So before I run the engine too much on this combination and cause damage I am looking to find out what kind and weight of oil to mix with gas and what ratio. Read in some article that 20w50 oil was used in injector tank. Any help would greatly appreciated.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: w2000 oil mixture

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hello Ikew ....Welcome to the forum! Now why not the whole hog and join the club? I'll send you a form .....I assume you have the oil-injection version of the W2000; the original oil recommended for this was a single grade 30 oil, and Shell Rotella X30 was the most popular brand (in the UK at least). Where in the world are you?More recently, Rotella 40 (as used in Norton rotaries) or Silkolene 2T (ditto) have been used successfully in the Deek.The device above the spark plug is nothing to do with the lubrication system. It is a vacuum box designed to reduce 'snatch' on the overrun or small throttle openings.An alternative to the above is to ignore the oil tank, and simply add oil to the fuel (petroil). 25:1 was the original ratio suggested, though I am told that with the Silkolene 2T one can drop to 30:1 quite safely.David
ikew2000

Post by ikew2000 »

Thanks for the mixture information, could not find that in any article I read. I am located in USA where everyone wants to hear the rotary run. One other question is how oil injector and vacuum hoses should be hooked up? Is a service manual available for the W2000 from anywhere? Thanks again, Ike
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

The hose from the vacuum box goes to just the engine side of the carb, where it fits onto a nozzle.If you remove the gearbox side cover, you'll see the oil metering pump; the hose from there goes to the inlet manifold just above the engine on the front side plate.I hope I have made myself clear, it's not always easy without pictures!David
FloridaMike

Post by FloridaMike »

'Nother USA W2000 owner here.The injection pump seems to be a Yamaha autolube pump, and these are not noted for their great reliability. Considering that W2000 engine internal parts are pretty much unobtanium, I'd suggest you pre-mix. I'm told these motors like Rotella straight 30 or 40, sometimes Wal-Mart (ugh) has it, sometimes your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) has it, many marine supply stores have it but it tends to be expensive there.The carburetor rebuild kit is a Bing CV for the LEFT carb of an R60/5 (1970s vintage), your local BMW dealer will insist you need both sides and when you tell him it isn't for a BMW and you only want the left one thank you, he'll look at you funny. Hucky's BMW in Florida will sell you what you need for less than the BMW dealer. By now, you are pretty much guaranteed that the diaphragm is shot (whatta pieca junk, crappy German rubber only lasted 40 years!) so you really ought to replace it.If the engine hasn't been run in years, I'd slobber it up with oil and risk fouling some spark plugs rather than starting it "dry". Let the oil soak in, rotate the engine by hand a few turns a couple of times a day, do it every day for a week, patience pays.If your friends want NOISE, examine the twin ends of the exhaust manifold. If it is the stock item, there are a pair of plates welded on the ends with a little narrow slot for the exhaust to come out of. This is because of the stringent German noise ordinances. (It would have been even quieter if they had welded the ends completely shut, but I don't think it would have run very well then.) Remove these plates at your peril, have hearing protection and expect to rejet the carb ;-) You will also annoy your neighbors, rotaries can be really, really loud.Best Regards,Mike in Florida
ikew2000

Post by ikew2000 »

Not sure my W2000 is actually a 1977 model as the title says. I have read that oil injection was installed on these bikes after 1976 but mine has no oil tank,oil pump, or oil cap on fuel tank. So my question is whether it is possible for this to be a 1977 without oil injection?
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Ah, you do NOT have the oil-injection version of the W2000!!!My guess is that your tank is red & black? Don't go searching for any pump or tank .... Just remember to add oil to the fuel when you fill up!!!! The ratios I suggested before remain.Ignore any date on the headstock plate. All W2000s were built over a 13 month period between October 1974 and November 1975; sales were so poor that they sat in a warehouse and not given the builders plates until released for sale. I think the latest dates that plates might show go as late as 1979!Cheers,David
ikew2000

Post by ikew2000 »

Went to my local motorcycle shop to ask about Silkolene 2T oil they did not have it in stock but were able to get it in a couple of days. Am now in need of front brake pads and tachometer. Tach face totally missing. Any ideas? Ike
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Blimey, you're getting all this info and you're not even a club member!! (Yet?) Very Happy Brake pads.Try those from some Yamahas from the 1970s ... XS650, XS500 & RD350 seem to ring a bell. A local dealer may well have a catalogue to compare ...There was a brand new Tacho advertised in a recent Wankel News (magazine of the German Wankel Club) if you want to stay totally original. When you say the face is missing, do you mean just the digits have faded, or there is no glass, needle etc?David