Engine stand commander

trevair

Engine stand commander

Post by trevair »

Hi has anyone made a stand for stripping and rebuilding engine with it being slung under the frame if so has anybody got pic
Trev
johnbirchjar

Re: Engine stand commander

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Trev,not quite sure what you mean,do you mean stripping the engine while still in the bike?J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

i really mean a stand so its of the bench as triumph you will answer my question if you tell me could you strip the engine down completely in the frame just holding the one centre part of the engine or are there two or three parts bolted that slide under the frame
if so i can make a template of spareframe i have and make a cantilever stand like a C
regards trev
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Trev,

I have a video of a mechanic at the Norton factory overhauling a water cooled engine, from what I have seen the engine cannot be overhauled when it is still in the frame. With the engine on the bench the mechanic used an old primary chain case cut so that the engine was turned on its ends and held steady to work on as its critical not to put any thrust on the ends of the rotor shafts.

Tony
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Anthony's correct, I have one that was used to build alot of engines.

Just obtain a scruffy primary cover and modify to suit your taste. I can't post photos on hear anymore.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I use a workmate it is brilliant as you can clamp the lower primary section in place and also gives good access all round
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
racecomp

Post by racecomp »

I modified a car engine stand it can turn and take perfect for the job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.