Classic for sale

GeoffD

Classic for sale

Post by GeoffD »

Ive had this Classic (number 11) since September 2015.
Unfortunately, It's just let me down for the second time. I did manage to limp home, but I have had enough. I need a bike I can rely on, so Ive decided it's time to sell.
It's done 6447 miles and is MOTd until 7th August.
It was moly coated and had new bearings just after I bought it, by Startright of Leeds.
Cosmetically, it is in pretty good order and it rides well with everything working as it should.
It's had recent new tyres and a new Motobatt gel battery
Unfortunately the engine is playing up again - it does run, but not very well.
I'm open to offers.
Inspection is welcome, Leeds, West yorkshire.
p.m. me if you need any more info
IMG_8405.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Re: Classic for sale

Post by johnbirchjar »

Bit of info please,
You've had the bike some 7 years?and how many miles have you travelled since you bought it?and how many miles since the mollying and bearings were fitted,and how long ago was this work carried out,and haved you owned a rotary before buying the Classic?and what are the symptoms of the latest "limping home", J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to read this. With some bikes you can have a love/hate relation isn't it? Like Italian bikes. Most times the love-side wins...
A Classic is such a good looking and unique bike. Why not also buy a used cheap Jap-bike as a back-up. That way you can keep the Classic.
Also, it might be just a simple problem causing the bad running? Graham is nearby in Leeds....

Jannes
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Hi John
Yes, this is my first rotary.
I've done about 600 miles on the bike since I bought it (it was only ever intended to be a "reserve" bike for special occasions) and it's done a bout 450 miles since molying (Feb 2017). It spent the previous 6 months with Graham at Startrights getting moly'd and serviced.
It hardly got used 2019, 2020 & 2021, due to covid & other reasons.
It was regularly started and allowed to warm up, whilst stored.
I'm running it with the temperature switch disconnected for now, as advised by Graham. Although this does give a fast (approx 12-1300 r.p.m) tickover.
I put it back on the road at the beginning of May this year & I've been using it on local roads with no problem.

I took it out yesterday, and it was running fine for about 20 miles. However after a fairly long slow decent, when I opened it up it lost power and seemed to be "chugging". It did get me the 5 miles home and then died. I could immediately restart it but had to hold the throttle open to keep it running.
There were no apparant clouds of smoke behind me after the decent.

Jannes.

Thanks Jannes, I do already have three other bikes - a Norton Commando, a Norton Dominator and a modern (ish) Triumph Sports Tourer.
The Classic was just an impulse buy and was to be used for shows/rideouts etc.
Due to reasons I do not want to discuss here, I had already decided to sell at least one of my bikes. The rotary has just nominated itself.
I do like the look of the Classic, and it is good to ride, but I do not have the time or the incentive to investigate any more.

Thanks, Geoff
holger999

Post by holger999 »

hello, Since you don't answer my email...and don't want to research....

what price do you have in mind?
Greetings
Holger
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Hello Holger.
Sorry, but I have not had an email from you.
As far as I am aware, you do not have my email address.
If you send me a p.m., I will answer it and give you my email.
Regards, Geoff
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Started the bike this morning. It started immediately and, after a bit of a cough and splutter, ran as normal (albeit with the temperature switch disconnecte. Settled down to an even (ish) 11/1200 rpm tickover and revved cleanly. grrrr.
So i have absolutely no idea what the problem is.
It had to be recovered twice not long after I bought it and was taken to Startrights both times for molycoating etc
I can no longer trust it, and I do not want the hassle now, so one way or the other, it has to go.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I have to admit that disconnecting the temperature switch is a new one one me,(why?)and surely a bit risky on a recently re-built engine exclaim.
It's a pity I don't live a bit closer to you as I would love to come and examine your bike and try to assess the problem smiley.
Iv'e had over 30 years of air cooled rotary ownership and know most of the foibles that come with these unique engines wink,and what came to me almost immediately from your report is the lack of miles that you have ridden your machine evil.
The Norton Rotory engines just do not like to be un- used for long periods(and starting them up and running them for a short period is not really recommended(I found this out the hard way evil)
Were I a bit younger I would have made you an offer on your bike,but I had to sell my own Classic about 18 months ago ('caus of my advancing years evil)but I'm sure someone will make you an offer.good luck,and ride safe on your other bikes,J.B.
Ian Mc

Post by Ian Mc »

Is the oil pump set correctly? Long downhill runs on a closed throttle can cause plug fouling.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

That's a very good point and it would agree with the bike seeming to run ok the following day.
I must admit, that I was a bit sick when it started playing up, so that I just pushed it into the garage in anger. Where it is now sitting sulking on the naughty step.
I am a bit reluctant to take it out, as I am surrouned by hills here. Never the less, I am thinking of giving another chance now that I've calmed down a bit.

Will report soon.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Thanks Ian.
Yes, that seems to have been the problem. I removed the plugs, gave them a good clean and now all seems to be back to normal.
I'll check the oil pump settings again and maybe also weaken the mixture a little bit.
Regards, Geoff
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Be VERY VERY, careful with the oil pump setting.(I assume Graham set the pump when he repaired the engine,)so be double sure you know what you are doing if you alter it evil.
Oiled up plugs could be down to to many miles at slow speeds.If you have a motorway anywhere near you,take the bike for a twenty/ thirty mile blast,(rotories love it Very Happy,)and then check the colour of plugs,they should be a very light brown if the carb and oil pump mixtures are correct,(and for what it is worth, don't use the bike as a "sometimes bike",put some miles on it exclaim,)ride safe,J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Email sent
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Sorry to have not replied to any emails, the had gone into my spam folder.
replies now sent.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Thanks Geoff can't wait to have it delivered.

Cheers Paul
James

Post by James »

holger999 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:40 pm hello, Since you don't answer my email...and don't want to research....

what price do you have in mind?
Greetings
Holger
may I ask ,what did this bike sell for?

I am looking at one for sale in an auction coming up and was wondering what the market is. Does anyone know the history of this particular bike?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0122-48937 ... ic-rotary/
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Looks a nice well cared for bike,should make all sorts of daft money,(a side bet says it will go to a collector and not a "rider" wink)J.B.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Sorry James, but that is up to the buyer to tell & not me on a public forum.
Regards, Geoff.
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Something odd about the clocks - lots of numbers missing on both the speedo and tacho. Not seen anything like that before
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Me neither,(my old girl LE029 had 70odd thousand on the clock when I sold it and no missing numbers)anybody else want to comment?J.B.
Jerome588_LE043

Post by Jerome588_LE043 »

Hi Geoff

I fill concerned with your report since I faced a similar situation with my Classic LE043
I took it out yesterday, and it was running fine for about 20 miles. However after a fairly long slow decent, when I opened it up it lost power and seemed to be "chugging". It did get me the 5 miles home and then died. I could immediately restart it but had to hold the throttle open to keep it running.
There were no apparent clouds of smoke behind me after the decent.
Leaving in France, I bought mine from a British gentleman in 2014.
Bike has been Moly'd, serviced and totally overhauled whereas no miles (she was brand new), at Norton Motors at the time.
Due to lack of import of Norton Rotaries in France, I had to wait until 2018 to register her on an antique vehicle basis (30 years old vehicles), and only used her yet a very little in 2021 (No much time, personal high constraints for the moment).

As a Norton enthusiast (owning several Norton motorcycles), I am confused towards the behaviour you report, that I face in some way.
I hardly wanted this nice and neat motorcycle (I got convinced to buy one when I once encountered Norton rotaries owners in Scotland, saying it was a trouble free choice), built like a Jaguar motor car.
It's frustrating; since reaching retirement I wanted some new and efficient motorcycle from Norton to double the use of my old 1977 850 MKIII (bought as new).
I recently have been warned by two owner's (John Birchjar and Holger) that I should have proceed to particular engine maintenance, as not using the bike (mainly oiling the engine chambers and pistons to avoid moisture corrosion when not used for a while). When I bought LE043 I did not know about that and I may get problems right now in conjunction with this odd behaviour we both face.

As being quite alone in France smiley with such a tidy situation to face, but not yet convinced the way you are (I would have like to use LE043, so pleasant to drive), there is a probability for me to follow same option. Put on sale ...
At least because not being a professional mechanic, I will be unable to have her running. red face
Regards.
Jérôme
James

Post by James »

GeoffD wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:11 am Sorry James, but that is up to the buyer to tell & not me on a public forum.
Regards, Geoff.
By the sounds of things I will not be able to afford a Norton but what about a Hercules?
252769548_10220188895049002_7134097839565137066_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

That looks sweet
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Looks very nice Very Happy,but I would imagine something as nice as that may not be much less to buy than a converted-to-look-like-a-Classic IP2 wink.J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

anybody know where there is a cheap hercules w2000 for sale preferably running but not a problem if tatty
please send email
regards trev