Bracey's monster wakes

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
D Bracey DB6

Bracey's monster wakes

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for a while (an annoying and briefly recurring illness and then work) but I am glad to be back amongst friends. Some may recall my special air-cooled bike. Well, I had all sorts of compression problems and finally gave in and enlisted the help of Sir Richard Negus. (It's only a matter of time before the Queen needs a rotary rebuilt so I am sure she'll get around to giving him a gong someday.)

The long and the short of it was that the moly coating on both side plates had cracked and just came out with a finger nail. Lucky not to have had a complete engine catastrophe.

I refitted the engine but had all manner of problems setting up running and just left it for a couple of years because work got in the way. The one good thing about this current enforced lockdown is that I have had a chance to revisit it, and lo and behold, after refitting the carbs and air pipes it has started to behave nicely.

I've uploadede a short video file to youtube in case anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Oe4_PoImM

In the video it's running with a bit of choke so a bit fast but it idles at about 1,000rpm when warmed up.

Just need to wait until I can MOT it and take it out for a shake down.

Best wishes to all,

David Bracey
Ian

Re: Bracey's monster wakes

Post by Ian »

Congratulations on sorting out your aircool, they're fun aren't they?

Let us know how it goes when it's fully sorted. I've had my Commander since 1995 and can't see me ever having cause to sell it until I can't ride any more. A sorted rotary is a fine motorcycle, if misunderstood by the motorcycling public.

Ian.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks Ian.

Looking forward to being released from house arrest.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,your bike looks the nut's Very Happy.
Don't wait for house release,just get out and ride the thing, It looks like it is just begging to be blasted down the road exclaim .
I have to ride my Honda now and again to just stop going stir crazy wink .
I most reluctantly had to sell my Classic a short while ago,after 30 years and almost 70,000 most enjoyable miles 'cos at 80(me,not the bike cry ) the old girl was getting a bit to much to maneuver in and out of the garage,and like the previous post said they really are the most unique of motorcycles,unlike any other bike I have ever ridden,SVF,J.B.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks John,

I’m sure your comment about just riding it was tongue in cheek, but I’ll admit it’s frustrating not be taking it out. I’ll be responsible and wait but will report back.

David
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

D Bracey DB6 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:36 pm Thanks John,

I’m sure your comment about just riding it was tongue in cheek, but I’ll admit it’s frustrating not to be taking it out. I’ll be responsible and wait but will report back.

David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

No,my tongue was definitely not in my cheek when I suggested blasting off down the road,do what I do,be responsible,go shopping on it wink,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Looks good and sounds sweet, David!

Well done! You must be a happy man.

Is that an old Riley just out of shot?

David
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks, I’m both happy, relieved and frustrated in equal measures.

It’s a 1936 4.5 litre Lagonda. I rebuilt that over several years having discovered it bricked up in a council estate garage in Lowestoft. Had been sitting there for 30years. Another long story....
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

As long as there IS a story for any of these old Monsters, we'll be more than willing to follow along!

CW
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Agreed Charles.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Just a quick question?do's you bike engine stop "hunting"on idle once it has warmed up?'cos Iv'e noticed that air cooled Norton rotaries have a lovely even idle,while the water cooled ones all seem to "hunt",it drove me to distraction trying to cure this on the Commander engine I put in my Classic,I gave up in the end and learned to live with it cry,J.B.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

No, once warmed up it settles down.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Finally managed to venture out to an MOT garage today and have been giving my bike a really good shake-down. Apart from a slightly sticky front calliper and the temp gauge stopping after 30 miles, it’s fantastic! Light and low and makes a wonderful noise.

As I’ve used different sized wheels and sprockets I’m interested in comparing speeds against engine revs. I’d be grateful if someone with an air cooled would tell me what speed they get in top at 4;000rpm. I’m managing about 70mph.

Thanks,

David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If you are up to 70 at 4000 your bike is well high geared exclaim,'cos If memory serves 70 on the Classic was about 5000(same as the Deauville)but I had a 18(as apposed to 17) tooth sprocket on the g/box so the Classic gearing is not standard, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong smiley,J.B.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks JB. Very helpful.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

My bike is considerably lighter than an IP2 as well so probably geared about right.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

David,

Not air cooled but my Commander at 4k RPM on the speedo reads 70 but the sat nav indicates 65, for a sat nav 70 I need to maintain 4.5k RPM

Tony
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks Tony. Sounds pretty good.
spondonash

Post by spondonash »

Wow, that is beautiful, along the lines of what I am looking at building currently.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Thanks, let me know if you want to discuss any of the options. A few things I’d change if I did it again.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The fairing off a 1992 Triumph 900 Triple(and it did look very nice,like from the factory cool) that I had on my Classic is still available wink,J.B.
Is vic there

Post by Is vic there »

That is stunning mate well done , can I have 1st dibs if you ever decide to sell her Very Happy
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

No problem. If I decide to sell I’ll make sure this forum hears about it first.
Is vic there

Post by Is vic there »

D Bracey DB6 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:42 am No problem. If I decide to sell I’ll make sure this forum hears about it first.
Nice one, its a stunning bike.