Hello to all

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
MikeBristol

Hello to all

Post by MikeBristol »

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum because I'm thinking of buying a Commander. Lots of help and advice here I'm sure. I haven't sat on one yet, so the first thing is to see if they are too big and heavy - especially seat height for a 31 inch inside leg. I already have a BMW K75 which is almost too high.

Previously had both 750 and 850 Commandos, so it would be nice to have a Norton again. Or is a rotary just too exotic and fragile for regular use … ??

Mike
tim harrison

Re: Hello to all

Post by tim harrison »

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum. Regarding the Commander they are quite tall and heavy. The weight is due to all of the fibreglass bodywork. Exotic and fragile they are not. Everything apart from the engine is pretty standard, much comes from the Yamaha XJ900. My Commander has been all over Europe as far as Italy and Southern Spain and Portugal. The bikes are generally reliable and mine has done 112,000 miles. I did 50,000 miles without the engine being touched and when it was opened up there wasn't much wrong. They make excellent tourers and like regular use on open roads. If you buy a Commander check the water pump regularly. they are simple to get at and repair but it is the part most likely to let you down. Tim
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Mike,If you have a 31" inside leg you will probably be ok with the Commander re: height(unless of course you only weigh about 9stone soaking wet)I have 28" inside leg and they are way to high for me wink,but like Tim says they are definitely not fragile engine & transmission wise,just a bit top heavy cos' of the fibreglass,buy and enjoy cool,ride safe,J.B.
MikeBristol

Post by MikeBristol »

Thanks for the reassurance about reliability guys, and that seat height won't be a problem. Not so keen on tall and heavy though - hoped the centre of gravity would feel lower than my K75! Maybe I need a Bullworker (can you still get them?), Mike
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Mike,

Like Tim I do a lot of long distance touring on my Commander, this year alone I have completed over 5000 miles mostly two up with camping gear, with holidays in Europe and the UK.

Top heavy; no I would not have said they are, with a kerb weight of 235 KG they are certainly not a lightweight that said I do not find my Commander difficult to push about my garage and once on the move they are a very balanced bike to ride even at walking pace.

They do need a lot of TLC they are not a bike you can leave all winter and expect to get on a ride away, I find that the more I use my bike the better it gets.

Your name suggest you are in Bristol, if so then you are not far from the excellent Devon branch of the Norton Owners Club

Tony
MikeBristol

Post by MikeBristol »

Thanks Tony - and yes, I am in Bristol. Will be (re)joining the NOC soon.
Anyway, I've now bought one, no 4189, known on here I think, and first registered to Nottinghamshire Constabulary. Not sure how different that is, seat, radio, blue light etc and colour apart, from civilian Commanders of the time (Dec 1989). It seems huge at first - though not bigger than many fully faired modern bikes I suppose.
Lots to learn about the wonderful world of rotaries! Mike
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tony,just as a "Case in point" re "top heavy" how tall are you? rgds,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John

5' 11"

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

5'11" that explains a lot wink,ride safe,J.B.