Paint advice needed please.

Dean Brown

Paint advice needed please.

Post by Dean Brown »

Image ImageHi, as you can see I now own the ex-Chris Johnson Commander. As you will also, no doubt, be aware it's in need of a re-spray. Can anybody supply me with the correct paint code for this machine. I'm pretty sure it's a Candy colour, but which one? Also is it red over silver or gold? Is there a supplier for the correct decals?Lastly does anybody actually know much about the history of this bike? I know nothing obviously but I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who knows of any engine work which has been done during it's lifetime.Apart from the fault with the paint, and a few scrapes and scrawps, the bike is absolutely lovely to ride. There is a tendancy for the 'bars to oscillate when slowing down. This I found out while chatting with my passenger and simultaneously slowing for a thirty limit from sixty. Nothing too serious and once it had done it the once I was forever prepared.Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you, Dean Brown
Dell Boy

Re: Paint advice needed please.

Post by Dell Boy »

I have the twin of your bike.I think the original colour was called Candy Red. I have that on an original invoice from Shenstone.See previous posts on handlebar shakes. Most of us get them!!!Derek.
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

Thanks for the info Derek. To what extent is yours the twin of mine? Does yours have the black lower fairing panel? I'm not sure if mine should have this black here or not. I suppose the bottom line is that I quite like having the fairing lowers black, but I'm curious to know if this has been done at a later date.As for the head shakes, I think they're a foible I'm quite prepared to live with. Knowing they're there is as good as preventing them from being there I feel. If that makes any sense.Anyway, thank you for the reply, Dean
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Yes,black on lower fairing, Krauser luggage rear tail piece. Centre stand lifting handle. No front daytime riding lamps. Fitted with Krauser K2 panniers & Krauser top box after purchase.Delivery date: 24-4-1992.No. 4265Sale price: £6,680.76.Molyed at 25,400 miles in 1997 at a cost of £1,175.00. Current milage 90,000.Cheers,Derek.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Candy Apple Red, Dream Machine was one of the Factory Approved Painters.
Dean Brown

Post by Dean Brown »

Were they? That's very interesting, thank you.Dean
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

DeanThe sure fire cure for head shakes is to fit a radial front. My preference is Michelin road three with a Bridgestone B45 or Avon rear. The Radial transforms the handling. I have used this on other head shakers with the same very positive results.In uk this practice is forboten but is there any one who has ever been pulled over to have the tyre construction checked? Personally I prefer a safer motorcycle than adhering to some unexplainable law.Over here in the land of the free there are no such constraints and several examples of manufactures mixing tyre construction ex factory.If concerned about UK law, try a radial on the rear as well, I intend doing this when the rear Bridgestone is up for replacement.Roger