NREC, does it still exist?

graham

NREC, does it still exist?

Post by graham »

Sad to read today that Alan Jones has organised his last Rotary Day. Also that he no longer wishes to run the NREC. Question is, does that mean the NREC has ceased to exist? What are we going to do about it? Can the ROC help out? Who fancies organising the next Rotary Day? There will certainly be a rotary day 2007 I'm sure of that. It's just a matter of where, when and who organises it.Graham
rotary_588

I hope to keep the club alive

Post by rotary_588 »

I have been asking around to see how much interest there is in continuing the club. So far not many people have thrown their hands up in horror over Allan is calling it a day.Therefore I am going to see if anyone else is interested in helping to run a new version of the club that uses modern technology for communication and with greater input from the membership. I for one are happy to continue with the Website and send out news etc. I would like someone else to consider organising a Rotary Day and possibly another member to arange visits to interesting places. A possibilities is that it could be a Norton section of ROC if there are only a handful of members interested and that is OK with them and David Cameron.If anyone is interested in keeping the NREC alive please let me know.Chris H.
kanonkopdrinker

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Just back from holiday and read the Announcement from Alan Jones that he is ceasing to run the NREC; strange, because I raised (or tried to...) this very point with him at the 2006 Rotary Day, when his repsonse was that he was quite happy to continue in his role...He has previously talked of giving up - and once rang me a few years back to ask if I would consider taking the NREC within the ROC... but then seemed to retract the notion and became vague and evasive when I tried to speak to him further on the subject.The ROC would seem to be a natural home for members of the NREC who are now without an specific owners club - though the NOC might be more approriate for those whose interest in the bikes lies simply because of the name on the tank, rather than the type of power unit employed.I shall write to Alan and offer to take all existing NREC members into the ROC for ther remainder of 2006 so they will still get a newsletter to keep them in touch. I have never seen a membership list for the NREC (has AJ ever published one?) but I imagine that the majority of the membership is also within the ROC?
Derek Nicol

Post by Derek Nicol »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:The ROC would seem to be a natural home for members of the NREC who are now without an specific owners club - though the NOC might be more approriate for those whose interest in the bikes lies simply because of the name on the tank, rather than the type of power unit employed.
I personally dont feel very 'at home' in the NOC much as i love having that wonderful historic logo on the tank. I would certainly like to see the NREC website continue, whether it be under the ROC umbrella or not... keep up the excellent work 'Rotary 588'. I note that its had 3500 hits so far. Personally i wouldnt have any problem with the NREC and the ROC merging. I believe that there are (or have been in the past) a significant number of NREC members who are not also ROC members, it would be good to see everyone in one club. Thanks to Alan & Sharon for all they have put into the NREC and especially for organising Rotary Day at Cadwell Park with the TR3OC, a very significant day for me.Im sure that one way or another Rotary Day wont be allowed to lay down and die, its seems to be very popular and im sure that someone will step forward.
rotary_588

NREC

Post by rotary_588 »

If I can find the funding for the postage I will mail all the members of the NREC and ask them what they would like to see. If I have their suport then JD and I will try to continue the club in an electronic form. We have ideas of how to improve communication and provide better information for the members. If the membership think that ROC is the way to go then I will have to think again.I am surprised that there has not been more reaction on the smart-groups. I hope this is not an indication of a lack of interest.I personally love all rotary power even if it is very poorly executed as in most none Norton/Mazda vehicles, But I fully respect the feelings of the few NREC members that I have discussed the issues with who think that the Norton's are special and should be kept separate. My main disappointment is that I started the NREC Website to try and improve the NREC and bring it into the modern age and for Alan to fold the club so soon afterwards is very disappointing. I personally would have preferred a Rotary site in general but that already existed. Chris H.
kanonkopdrinker

Reply received yesterday from Alan Jones

Hello David Thank you for your message. Jim Dudley and Chris Hartley are hoping to form a new Norton Rotary Club as they are keen to retain the Norton identity. Thank you for your offer of complimentary ROC membership for former NREC members. Please liaise with Chris about this and any other matters as he now has all the NREC records. As I said in my announcement, I have very much enjoyed running the club over the last ten years but I now have other interests and have decided to move on. Best wishes Alan----- Original Message ----- From: RotaryOC@aol.com To: jones@newhall112.freeserve.co.uk Cc: c.s.hartley@open.ac.uk ; graham@startright.demon.co.uk ; postmaster@rotary1.plus.com ; nortonmotorsltd@tiscali.co.uk Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 6:13 PMSubject: NREC Hello Alan, I was saddened and surprised to read that you intend to step back from running the NREC. May I offer those members of the NREC who are not already members of the ROC, complimentary membership for the remainder of 2006 so that they may continue to receive a newsletter while they decide what to do. The most logical step in my opinion would be for the NREC to reform as a Norton branch within the ROC - or as a rotary branch within the NOC. If you could please let me have a copy of the most recent NREC membership list, I shall contact them and let them know what's happening. It would be sad to lose you from the rotary scene so I am pleased you are happy to remain as a point of contact. Kind regards David David CameronRotary Owners' Club cc Graham Wilshaw; Jim Dudley; Chris Hartley; Richard Negus
rotary_588

Norton Rotary Club (formerly the NREC)

Post by rotary_588 »

After a meeting with some NREC members at the Hesketh open day it has been decided to continue with the NREC under the new name of the Norton Rotary Club there will be a new club magazine!. I will try to contact all members current and old, inviting them to rejoin for 2007. Thanks Chris Hartley
kanonkopdrinker

I have now received an address list for the erstwhile NREC. About 60% were also in the ROC. I shall write to the remainder to see if they would like complimentary membership of the ROC for the remainder of 2006.Hopefully, I have had enough extra 'Epitrochoids' prined to cover the possible extra demand....