Alternative Silencers

Rotating588

Alternative Silencers

Post by Rotating588 »

Hi has anyone fitted different [lighter] silencer to the IP2?

I would like to do so provided the noise is not too loud.

Thanks Roger
johnbirchjar

Re: Alternative Silencers

Post by johnbirchjar »

I doubt it,the reason they are so heavy is they have to be made of Stainless Steel,anything else melts exclaim,('cos of the extreme exhaust heat)J.B.
spondonash

Post by spondonash »

I would imagine a good quality fully stainless steel silencer would do the job, there are lots out there but would need to be a heavy duty item.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Hello Roger,

Not sure this is a route you’d want to go down, but my bike is essentially an IP2 and I made a 2 into 1 system with a lightweight race silencer for my bike. I had to polish out any race markings for obvious road use reasons, but it works and sounds good. Certainly about 20% the weight of 2 original ones.

David
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Hello David and thanks for your idea. I am concerned about the noise level, I would prefer a deep growl rather than a noisy race noise. How would you describe yours?

I have been looking at the stainless silencers in www.carbuilder.com they supply repackable silencers. Pipe size might be a problem.

Roger
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

Here is my IP2 when I bought it, with a 2 into 1 system on it that hardly weighed anything. However, it was very, very loud and even after I bought a baffle for it, it made no difference!
rear.jpg
It had Geoff Madden's name engraved on it, so I assume it was one of his specials which I think he built in the late 1990s'/2000's?
Anyway, in the end I just could not ride it as although it really did have a wonderful sound, it was too noisy, especially for neighbours, so I swapped it for a standard system with a fellow forum member.
After I got it back on the road, one of the neighbours asked if I was not entering the TT that year any more - a sort of tongue-in-cheek way of saying thank God you got rid of that exhaust!
Good luck with your hunt, but I think you will be lucky to find something suitable that is both quiet and lighter than the twin silencers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.