Where things live

Rotating588

Where things live

Post by Rotating588 »

I am struggling with the Norton Demonstrator I bought recently. As I said the bike seems to be loosely assembled but some parts are not fitted to the chassis. So will someone please let know where the following parts are fitted to the chassis.

Where do the coils reside?

Where does the starter solenoid live?

The loom I have has a red and a white 9 way connector which goes to the binnacle and that is o.k. but in another part of the loom there is yet another white 9 way connector. This second white connector is not shown on the IP2 wiring diagram.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Roger
BlackIP2

Re: Where things live

Post by BlackIP2 »

Hi Roger
Glad you got your forum admission sorted.
The coils fit in the moulded recess in the plastic air filter box cover that goes at the top front of the engine.
Coils go in here.jpg
The starter solenoid is a bit more tricky, as you have to remove the right hand footrest assembly and brake pedal. It fits behind there, screwed onto two small brackets on the oil tank area under the battery case.
Starter solenoid mounting brackets.jpg
Regarding your extra extra 9 pin connector, it might be something for the police lights or other equipment, but I would not take it for granted that the wiring diagrams are 100% accurate and you may need to be a bit creative and do your own.
My bike is an ex-police bike that had the wiring butchered before I bought it, as someone had tried to fit a Classic wiring loom but not much matched either the Classic or IP2 wiring diagrams. Over the last winter I stripped out all the taping only to reveal a dozen or so loose wires, and others looping themselves through fuses and not actually supplying anything. So I replaced those that needed it but at some stage I am going to rewire the whole thing using the latest high capacity thin wall wiring.
Good luck with yours.
Cheers
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Hello Mark, and thanks for your very prompt reply. I forgot to ask another question; my IP2 wiring diagram shows a coloured wire [I think red, memory not what it used to be] but all I can find is a black earth cable. What am I missing?

Regards Roger
BlackIP2

Post by BlackIP2 »

It really depends what the red wire is supposed to be supplying and where it comes from, so impossible to say what it is.
When I stripped out my wiring harness, I followed the wiring diagram in the IP2 workshop manual as closely as I could as most of the components were still IP2, but in the end I found it easier to simply follow each wire from the relevant fuse to whatever it supplied. I had to fit two new fuses as they had been left out, due to the Classic loom having a different arrangement for the fuses compared to the police spec IP2.
Maybe if your bike was a demonstrator it might have had a one-off wiring loom? Richard N would probably have a better idea on that issue.
Either way, it sounds like some bodging on the wiring has been carried out sometime in its life?
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Hi Mark, thanks again. the IP2 wiring diagram shows a White/red wire from the red connector in the binnacle going to the oil level switch. The oil level switch has a black lead which I guess is an earth but no connection for the White Red cable - that I can see. I will probably ignore this until later in the rebuild.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

My Commander oil level switch wire is black where it emerges from the frame then a short distance to a bullet connector then RW red/white to the loom
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Roger,

I should have added that the oil level switch only has one black wire

Tony