Help . My F1 has died...

litoskin

Help . My F1 has died...

Post by litoskin »

This evening i went with a friend of mine for a short travel around my town with my f1 and stop eating in a pizzeria. The bike was running really great until i shut down the engine and turned off the bike.Outside was almost 30°C . After 2 hrs i came back to the bike, i turned on the engine with the choke on and the bike initially started and seems ok as always but after 10 seconds i felt the bike start running bad it seems a problem of fueling or ignition and after other 2/3 seconds it shut down...Initially i thought probably the engine was still warm and it don't need the choke so i turned off the choke but without results, the fuel pump seems working as always ,i tried to change the reserve switch from normal position to reserve and back but without results. I thought the fuel level could be low and refill the tank to the maximum and tried many times to fire the engine but without results...The fuel pump seems working correctly (or at least make the same sound as always) and if you open the tank and watch the petrol inside you see some movements like the pump is doing his job.I checked the ON/OFF switch on right handlebar and it seems working too...I also had a look at the fuses in the fuse box and they seems all ok. What do you think ? Anyone of you had some issue like mine ? 2 years ago i had a problem like that trying to start the engine after some months of stop..I put the bike in a very steep descent and when the bike was running fast i put the second gear and after 3/4 seconds the engine starts ....but this time is different because the bike was running good just two hrs before...When i was trying to turn on the engine; from the left exhaust a little white smoke comes out from it but nothing else...I don't understand if the fuel is reaching the carburetors (but a smell of petrol comes out from exhausts)and if the electric current reaches the spark plugs ...What do you advise me to do ? Thanks you too much, your help is much appreciated and very sorry for my poor english.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Help . My F1 has died...

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

If I were you, I would start with the easy basic stuff first?Are you getting a spark at the plugs?If you are, then try a new set of plugs .....David
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yep totally agree probably wet fouled plugs.Seen a lot of this lately is there a problem with modern park plugs??
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Try checking the sidestand switch(I had a similar problem with the Classic many years ago,I disconected the switch and It's been fine ever since wink)J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

As the others have said, your engine seems to have "flooded" with fuel.Remove the plugs but before you put some new ones in, leave the bike for a day or so to let the excess fuel evaporateout of the motor.Good luck.
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi I agree check out a new set of plugs NGK C8E .60mm gap I purchase a box of 10 at a time and once I was only getting 1200 miles per plug I changed the box and now all ok 4000 miles plus per plugThe Battery is it in good condition? just because it turns over the engine it might have one cell sulphated then you are only getting 10 volts instead of 12volts. check out the earthing to the frame and battery, with the fuel tank removed clean and make secure four black wires that are secured with one of the four bolts that hold the plenum chamber into the centre plate of the engine don't over tighten it. Is the battery still behind the engine if it is relocate it to behind the seat hump other wise it will get fried with the heat, I went a step further and fitted a much larger sealed battery called a PC680 made by Odyssey its expensive but very good, I made a new battery carrier and angled it at 45% because of size don't lay it down on its side also fitted longer battery cables 10mm will help with the extra power from this batteryThe kill switch on the handle bar might be corroded inside spray with DW40 and flick on and of many times. I also found a very poor earthing connector behind the headlamp its a two into one black earthing connector I soldered all three wires together finishing of with heat shrink I have better lights nowBehind the steering head stock tucked inside the frame are the IGN wires check them out for corrosion and any green mould clean with WD40 and a tooth brush one might be causing a problem.I would also check out the left side rectifier wires for corrosion.What IGN system are you using? Minimag is the best Ive found the Boyar is old hat and can die easily because of age PM me for details.The carbs have you fitted new float needle valve with neoprene tips? the modan petrol make the old tips soft and leak petrol into carbs and could flood one chamber with slow running this would could have the opposite effect and sticking closed making one side have a weak mixture and run hotter on that side and over heat that plug, You might have to strip and clean the carbs I would also check out the inline filters for contamination like water and crud.Ride safeAndy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Side stand switch. Its happened to all of us. Many a bike has been recovered when the fault can be easily fixed at the road side.derek fox
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

At a recent NOC rally in Kendel a guy with a Commander had a simaler problem,having spent an hour or so checking all the usual suspects (including changing the electronoic Ign;box evil )one of his helpers said"This engine kill switch dosn't feel right,no resistance"fiddle fiddle,"Now try it"instant broom,broom, Very Happy,J.B.