Indicators

mcmarvellous

Indicators

Post by mcmarvellous »

Morning,I have a fault with my Commander indicators. After a run of an hour or so, the Indicators will not stay on, I can hold the switch over with my thumb and they will work, but they cancel as I let go. This is odd as it has happened on 2 occasions, once on a 50 mile run in the wet, when I thought it might be water in the switch, and last night just as I neared home after an hour and 20 minute fast run. The next time I use the bike they are fine again, although I haven't used the bike yet today (slept in and jumped in the car to work)!Could it be heat? I am new to the bike and haven't taken it apart other than to clean it, so do not know where the flasher unit is but these usually work, or don't in my experience.Any ideas?I will service it next week, fluids etc, so it will e the time to check this over.
Interpol2471

Re: Indicators

Post by Interpol2471 »

The relays are in the right hand fairing pocket mounted on the frame which carries the majority of the electrical accessories.It is deffinnately worth cleaning the switch as well as they do fail especially the horn contacts. Start with the obvious and change the relay
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

Sounds like a plan, i'll have a look tonight. The flasher relay, is it a Yamaha part? or Startrite/Norton?Just see if I can pick one up at the yamaha dealer up the road during lunch. I suspected the switch but no reason for it to stop working after a while on the bike, so the relay is favourite.Mike
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Mike,Excellent advise from Paul and as its the easiest thing to check well worth doing.Unfortunately the wiring for Commander indicators takes a rather convoluted route. In addition to the flasher relay our bikes also has the excellent addition of a self cancelling unit. This is mounted up under the right hand side of the fairing next to the flasher relay. A signal is taken from a reed switch in the speedo which prevents the indicators from cancelling whilst the bike isn't moving say at a right turn or stopped at traffic lights. When sufficient speed is reached a switch (in the speedo head) is made (or broken, can't remember) and allows the self cancelling unit to do just that after 14 flashes.I'm assuming that as your bike is a Dorchester Grey machine then it isn't an ex Police bike and probably doesn't have the additional Lucas pull / push hazard switch mounted on the Right hand side of the fairing, if it does check the connections other wise my money is on the white six way plug and socket just in front of the 3 nine way plug and sockets to the front of the right hand side of the fairing, next to the fuses/ coils. The six way socket will have a six way plug mounted in it but only using two terminals, No. 3 & 4. These are shorted together with a green cable, check them for corrosion. It may be easier to remove the front screen and lift away the driving light panel and even remove the headlamp to gain access to the connections.You know where I live if you need any help, just pop round.Regards, Joe.
mcmarvellous

Post by mcmarvellous »

Thanks Joe, I'll have a look first but might take you up on the offer!It's an excuse for a ride out..Mike
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi Joe yes the Last Commander I worked on had a fault on both the white and red terminal blocks and as you say they are all easy to get too with the screen removed. Mind you that suffered from poor earths also......Well as easy as it gets on a Commander wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....