Classic Light Cluster

Rotating588

Classic Light Cluster

Post by Rotating588 »

Jannes has asked, in the classified section, if anyone has a spare Classic Rear Light cluster or is anyone prepared to remove their's so we can try to have a small batch made - 3D printing?

At the moment it is just Jannes and me in need of the rear light. We would probably need a lager number to order to make the price reasonable enough to buy
Regards Roger
mick695

Re: Classic Light Cluster

Post by mick695 »

I'd be happy to put my name down for one as a spare... if it's possible to get them made.

Cheers

Mick
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

This is a message to Richard Negus, I don't know if you have been following this post about looking for a classic rear light cluster; Rob Goddard suggested I contact you as you were looking for this light for a customer's bike, and wonder if you have one we can copy or make up from bits and pieces and have re-manufactured?

Alternatively do you know if another light cluster from a different Rotary, say Commander or ... , will fit the IP2?

Regards Roger
mickm

Post by mickm »

If this is still ongoing I would like to put my name down for a rear light set for a Classic. Mick M
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

'Morning All,
The rear lamp assembly, and many other plastic parts of the Classic, were originally designed for an early prototype that got cancelled after 14 or so were part-assembled. I don't believe that any of the tooling remains although, oddly enough, the IP2 also used some of those plastic parts - but not the rear lamp.
I don't see AN re-making the main moulding but perhaps they might release the drawings for an enthusiastic amateur (Karl/Joe??).
With the drawing, 3D printing is an option or aluminium castings by someone with the necessary skills (George??) The shape seems too complex to fabricate in aluminium, but CNC machining from solid another (expensive) option.
Lenses are the simple bit (3D printing) and illumination by LEDs.

The rear lamp was peculiar to the Classic and not used by any other motorcycle. I don't have a sample or even bits of one to copy. Knowing how scarce they are, I'd be reluctant to dismantle my Classic (if I had one) and risk losing the rear lamp.

For a rear-ended Classic, I once made new lenses, red and amber, out of caravan lamps. Not pretty though, but did the job.
R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!