Ro80 on Ebay

redshiftrotary

Ro80 on Ebay

Post by redshiftrotary »

For those of you that fancy a challenge; there's an NSU Ro80 on Ebay I see, needs complete renovation, £500 start. Item no. 294142134494. Vendor not sure whether it's got a Rotary, or a Wankel engine!
Apologies for mentioning the word 'car' on these august screens, but it might tickle someones fancy and they're not exactly common.
johnbirchjar

Re: Ro80 on Ebay

Post by johnbirchjar »

I expect there will be a few at their rally,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

It has indeed not got the original NSU Wankel engine ....

It seems to have had a Mazda rotary replacement.

Good luck to whoever wins it .....

David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

The Mazda rotory must be a vast improvement on the NSU original,but back in the day, the vast majority(so I have been lead to believe) were exchanged for Ford's V4(which,if memory serves,was a bit of an old dog anyway,) hence Fords not keeping it in production very long wink,sorry,I digress,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

The Original was the KKM-612 which, for our way of thinking, were 2 RE-5 engines lashed together with a Central Housing in between. It even had 2 Solex Carbs, which came to us in the form of the RE-5 Mikuni carb produced under a licensing agreement.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/197 ... 007790.pdf

Go to page 85. This was the replacement for the KKM-612, the KKM-871. You can see one taken apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhRolsYQNig

It was seen in some Gee-Whiz Projects, the "Wankel Fanliner", f'rinstance. By then the Ro-80 was headed out to pasture.
Some nice pictures, however!!!

CW