H&H Auction

mickm

H&H Auction

Post by mickm »

I see that H&H have a Blue Commander up on their March sale. It looks very smart. Is it a known bike ? As I may well be in the market for another one to replace my old one. Which as usual I should never have sold. Mick
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: H&H Auction

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

It looks like Jim Dudley’s old bike; does anyone know the index mark or VIN?
David
mickm

Post by mickm »

It made £4,500 surprising low
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Four and a half grand do's seem a bit low,is there more info out there in Rotory land?J.B.
2nd Time Around

Post by 2nd Time Around »

Hello everyone.

I am the buyer of the blue Krauser Commander sold by H&H this week. I'm still waiting for the bike to be delivered.

I previously had an original model Commander with the built in panniers between 1992 and 2000. Is G981LGP still out there? Shows as being SORNed on the DVLA website and has for some time.

Does anyone have any advice about recommissioning my newly acquired bike? Although it has a current MOT, it doesn't seem to have done any mileage for the last couple of years. Based on my previous experience, I expect that the batteries will probably need replacing and I will go through the regular pre-riding checks. Is there anything else not in the manual or handbook that I should check before attempting to use the bike?

Thanks

Alan
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Al,
Lots of oil(30 or 40 grade mono)down the plug holes,turn the engine over by hand(bike in gear and turn the engine over using the back wheel so the oil gets liberally distributed round the internals)engine wise that's about all you can do.
Advise the neighbours NOT to phone the fire brigade when you fire the old girl up 'cos she sure will smoke a bit Very Happy,and hopefully,ride and enjoy the rotory experiance,SVF,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

It also may be a good idea to check the water pump coupling(one of the few "Achilles Heels" with water cooled rotories)J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes if stood absolutely check and lubricate the oil pump and couplings for sure. Drain everything and replace new and as JB stated plenty of oil preferably Silkolene Classic 2T

Also the Yamaha brakes seize every time you look at them so check and clean and of course if stood complete carb strip and clean.

Commanders also don't like standing as wiring mainly earth issues can occur so worth while a quick check of the bulkhead loom thru plugs.

Also don't forget depending on ignition check the ignition ballast resistor for corrosion but easy to diagnose if it plays up starting.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Lots for you to do then,but,it will be worth it in the long run Very Happy,J.B.
2nd Time Around

Post by 2nd Time Around »

Thanks everyone.

The bike was delivered today. As expected the batteries have had it, so new ones are on order.

The rear wheel is slightly stiff. I'll check the chain tension and then check the rear brake caliper / pads.

There seems to be a switch in the fairing for a heated seat? Is this correct (or is it a replacement switch?) I'm sure this was the hazard warning switch on my 1989 model. I can't see any wiring to the seat.

Perhaps I'm getting older but this one seems much heavier than I remember, but it has been 20 years since I wheeled a Commander into the garage!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

No,I'ts an age thing,(thats why I had to sell the Classic evil,)J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Alan,

At 235KG kerb weight they are not as heavy as some modern tourers, binding brakes may make it feel heavier than they are.

If you do not have any rear chain gaiters as spare, always handy having at least one on the shelf, contact Chris Harvey chris.harvey33@ntlworld.com.

Chris; using the original moulds from Andover Norton had a number of gaiters made to the original specification, they are excellent quality pressure tested and are BRAND NEW and not old stock.

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Commando's look heavier,(and as a point of interest,they are about 28lb more than my Deauville) but my problem would be the seat height,what is it on the Commander? (in comparison to the Deauville at 32ins)(or 814mm wink)J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

2nd Time Around wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 pm Thanks everyone.

The bike was delivered today. As expected the batteries have had it, so new ones are on order.

The rear wheel is slightly stiff. I'll check the chain tension and then check the rear brake caliper / pads.

There seems to be a switch in the fairing for a heated seat? Is this correct (or is it a replacement switch?) I'm sure this was the hazard warning switch on my 1989 model. I can't see any wiring to the seat.

Perhaps I'm getting older but this one seems much heavier than I remember, but it has been 20 years since I wheeled a Commander into the garage!
It will be the Yamaha calipers strip clean and replace all seals front and back as when they seize up they seize up lol also check the master cylinders as they leak and corrode also.

Someone replaced the fog light they are available new from AN
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....