Norton F1?? to buy or not to buy?

rjg30091982

Norton F1?? to buy or not to buy?

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi guys i am looking at amongst other projects either a new 961sport or a F1/F1 sport.What are the F1's like to live with? i work away at sea and could be away up to 11 months of the year, i've been put off having a rebuild on my Commander because of this with Norton Rotary owners saying if i leave the bike it will need a rebuild when i come home even if the bike is not used! (i've had plenty of offers to look after the bike though!!!!!!!)Any one have a history of F1 Rotary problems? is it likely to need a rebuild if i leave it? i really want one but if its going to need a rebuild all the time i'd rather get another Commando and the 961!any engine advice would be appreciated i really want an F1 but i don't want to constantly rebuild it!thanks Russ
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Dell Boy

Re: Norton F1?? to buy or not to buy?

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Russ,I had an F.1. for 4 years & rarely rode it because I got very few moments of pleasure out of the miles covered. It was no problem leaving it at the back of the garage for up to a year. It always fired up straight away if a strong battery was used & did all it was supposed to do. It had been rebuilt 3 times in 7,000 miles but the last time it was molyed & was fine after that. Previous owners had the 1st. two rebuilds done.I dont use various of my Commanders for extended periods as I chop & change current favourites. Moly treatment has made the previous requirement of regular use I believe much less important.Someone else on the forum I`m sure will come up with different experience. Nothing with Norton rotary`s is set in stone though any machinery runs best with regular use.Derek.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Thanks Derek,So moly' work may solve the problem then if i leave the bike?russ
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Russ molying the bike is always a great thing but the most important thing to remember when laying up a Rotary is to make sure you get loads of Comp 2 oil into both rotor housings via the spark plug holes and via the air transfer ports by taking off the round air filters either side of the engine and removing the spark plugs. This will stop any corrosion on the cast iron rotor setting in while the engine is stationary and will also stop the rotor seals from sticking. Squirt the oil in and after putting the bike into high gear turn the rear wheel over to spread the oil around the engine evenly, if you can get someone to turn the rear wheel for you while you are away to keep everything free and moving that would be perfect. It will smoke the neighbourhood out when you are back but it will keep the engine as good as you can have it without regular running while you are away.Dont be tempted to get someone to keep starting the bike while you are away as the oil pump does not operate until after 1800rpm so you will just be running and idling a dry engine which is of no help at all.Derek is right though the best maintenance is regular riding so I am also available to ride your bike while you are away, saves mine getting dirty wink
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

So many offers to ride the thing! mind you the blue lights and siren will help you get from A to B quickly!!its food for thought i have to consider what i'm going to do! i'm still tempted to get the 961 or the F1 and leave the commander for a few years when i'm home more and likely to ride it!Its another reason i'm put off the F1 but i want a rotary i can ride!!!!!!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi F1s are not for every one, they love to be moderately thrashed i have f1sports and an f1, i can live with the f1s hunting belAll mine have been moliyed, the engine is the least of my worries, exhaust system NA, wheels NA, forks na,, ie don’t drop oneow 40 mph, however my 2002 Daytona will leave it for dead, so will a 916 do you know what performance wise you want. Regards Wayne
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

performance wise i'm not fussed, i just want to fulfill a child hood dream of owning one! i'm looking at a few interpols at the moment as well, i'd like an F1 soon, maybe in the next 6 months!