tempest fugit

rogerdodger

tempest fugit

Post by rogerdodger »

What is UTC +1 Hour, in this great land of ours it's either BST or GMT, is this a politically correct one, can someone enlighten me please.
graham

Re: tempest fugit

Post by graham »

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)[1] (French: Temps Universel Coordonné) is a time standard based on International Atomic Time (TAI) with leap seconds added at irregular intervals to compensate for the Earth's slowing rotation.[2] Leap seconds are used to allow UTC to closely track UT1, which is mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.(Wikipedia)Seems to be a product of UK/USA/EURO software. Every time I correct the time, it goes off in another direction! It is always correct to the minute and second but often wrong to the hour and sometimes date! I suppose I must accept that our globe is indeed fully spherical :-) I'm at a loss to know how I should keep our time zone constant. Please accept my apologies if it drifts more than an hour either way!Graham.
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

thank you very much for thatdidn't know the French could tell the time?Roger
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

HI guys,I do'nt suppose it will be to long before our craven government recieves an E.U.directive from those b******s in Brussels telling us that we must no longer use B.S.T or G.M.T.( not P.C, and too British)J.B.
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

JB don't fret vote me in to power at the next election and it will all be sorted, of course we will all be forced to buy Nortons first, but that really isn't a bad thing is it.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Come the next election, don't forget that the ROC has within its number the one and only, 'Baron von Thunderclap', transport spokesman for the Official Monster Raving Loony Party!!!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Are there any new rotories being made for us to buy? and if so,with piston jobies costing from £15,grand?I shudder to think what sort of daft money a rotary would cost.J.B.
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

well at the NOC dinner back in June at Donnington I asked Peter Scatchhard how much will they be going for as I put my name down for one. Around 30 - 40 thousand he informed me. After mouth to mouth resussitation and a stiff drink I eventually came around. That's over the top isn't it as you have to corner the younger generation to want to buy one I said, not us bunch of ole codgers. Quite a reasonable price he told me. Well I was speechless. Could have knocked me down with a feather. Well he ain't going to sell any is he I said. He was not amused.Around 15k maximum in my opinion, considering I paid £12,700 for my F1 20 yrs ago.
Malc

Post by Malc »

That 30 to 40 grand might be about right (for a full race replica)( dreaming again) but on this website we are in UTC time (Universal Time Capsule) so beam us forward another 20 years and we will see If Baron Von Thunderclap has the answers, otherwise EU rules will not allow bike use on Sundays and weekdays and only pre-organized rides on Saturdays exclaim Malc
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

What would £12,700 equate to in todays money? quite a bit more than £15grand I should think,and 20 years ago twice as much as any other bike on the market,exept perhaps a big"g/wing"or an M.V.?(I am only guessing though,I only got back into bikes in the late /90s)J.B.
Malc

Post by Malc »

Well, if £12,700 worth of materials and labour to produce the bike had increased by 'say' 5% over 20 years that would be approx £25,400 or if compund like a mortgage, around £35,000. Makes you think doesn't it!OK, boffins, calculaters at the ready tell me if my figures are wrong?
TRL

Post by TRL »

Malc wrote:Well, if £12,700 worth of materials and labour to produce the bike had increased by 'say' 5% over 20 years that would be approx £25,400 or if compund like a mortgage, around £35,000. Makes you think doesn't it!OK, boffins, calculaters at the ready tell me if my figures are wrong?
Real inflation rates are more like 2.7% average over the last 20 years and often the price of technology comes down over the years with economies of scale.The Bank of England Inflation Calculator http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/educatio ... /index.htmgives a value of £19698.48 for 2008 (£12700 in 1992 as a base figure)
rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

What I am saying is I did pay £12,700 in November 1990, but I was young and foolish, it was alot of money then (only 124 sold reflects this). Same today 30 -40 k is way over the top and what youngster can afford that so selling 124 will not keep Norton making bikes for the future. So if they reduced the price to around £15,000 by subsidise them as Mr Garner said he would then you may get more people investing in one.OK I am also glad I did buy it coz I would never ever ever sell it.
Malc

Post by Malc »

This topic is not really about the bikes, its about getting investment invariably from investors wanting a quick return and marketing to the max advantage, (stack em high and sell low (tesco etc) or stack low and sell high) to meet what can expectedly be produced. Its also about accountants and egos. The product may as well be ironing boards. After all, you dont see many of them oval piston Honda's on the road, but they sold the amount they wanted at the 'exclusive' price for the 'exclusive' product. I suppose I have a slightly slanted view of bikes as when working on them every day, the last thing you want to do is go to motorcycle shows at weekends and when new models appear, the first thing you think of is taking it apart, not riding it. How much of that fairing has to come off and does the radiator have to come off to get at the cam cover type of thought take over. Road bikes become just transport.So in the real world, if the new Commando is produced, it will be short lived as people then want something new.As for a new rotary, I dont think it will come from Mr Garner, but a new race bike, there could be, wait and see!