tax disc nicked

MrB

tax disc nicked

Post by MrB »

Some swine nicked my tax disc on Saturday whilst parked outside Halfords in Stevenage. It was there before I set out, gone when I got home. The holder was a traditional type which, although secure enough not to fall apart whilst riding, was easy to get into. Can anyone recommend a secure holder?Johnny
Pike

Re: tax disc nicked

Post by Pike »

Sorry to hear that - I don't carry tax discs on my bikes for just this reason. Although I am committing a "failure to display" offence, most coppers understand and will allow you to present it at a police station within 7 days. You have to wonder what use a tax disc for a Notorn Rotary is these days???? 1) The police have number plate recognition (for cars at least)2) Any copper who stops the thieving toe-rag is going to check the registration number matches rather than just the expiry date 3) Having no tax is a motoring offence whereas substituting another tax disc is fraud and much more seriousThat said, you probably shouldn't have gone to Stevenage...or Halfords for that matterChris
MrB

Post by MrB »

Point 1 - I agree.Point 2 - I also agree. Point 3 - Got to agree with that too, and I hope he gets nicked for it.Final point - can't really argue with that either! Which makes it all my fault then. Oh dear.By the way, if I've put 2 & 2 together correctly I think we may have a mutual acquaintance, a certain Mr Cooke whom became wed recently. Haven't seen him for some years though.Johnny
Pike

Post by Pike »

Ooh no - I can't think of any Mr Cooke. There's one in our village (Pirton) but he's terribly old and I think his missus would have something to say about any recent marriageChris
MrB

Post by MrB »

I was thinking of Ben from Shillington. I'll be going to Knebworth bike show on Sunday. If you go & want to say hello whilst you're there give me a call on 07919 216824.Johnny
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi JohnnySorry to hear about the tax disc probley kids?. I got a good disc holder from Norton Motors with 8 nut and bolts holding the two halfs together around the outside and one big bolt hole to secure to, the trick is to find a securing nut that is hard to get to, on my bike I have mine secured it to the footrest braket a right swine to tighten as its so close to the swinging arm and its also behind the gear linkage so it cant be bent and ripped off. If you get stopped it wont be for tax evasion as its on police database, To get a replacment will cost you as a replacement I think its about £6 but I might be wrong.Ride safeAndy wink
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
graham

Post by graham »

Hi MrB smiley No, It certainly isn't your fault.. Hope it hasn't dented your faith in Human nature too much.One of our customers caught two thieves trying to steal his bike last year (He's a big lad!), he didn't call the Police, he was busy dealing with it himself.. The neighbours called the police when they saw him bundle the two would-be thieves into the boot of his car and slam it shut. The Police arrived, heard the screams from the boot and asked for an explanation, he said he was taking some rubbish to the tip. Can't resist a bit of product placement ..http://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?m ... +holderTop seller is the twist shut oxford 6.99 oneGraham
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

One system that gets around the problem is to get one of those cheap light plastic tax holders, and use that as a key fob! Whenever the keys are in the bike, so therefore is the Vehicle Excise Licence! Easy peasy ...Nowadays, whether a bike has a current VEL or is SORN'd is shown on the Police National Computer, as well as whether it has an MoT and insurance details. So long as there is a current tax issued for the vehicle, I have never known the authorities prosecute simply for 'failing to display' although technically one should. Perhaps someone will write in to tell me that they got done for not displaying ...DC
Ian

Post by Ian »

I had mine half-inched a few years ago and did the right thing, reported it to Her Majesty's finest.I got a letter from them apologising that I was a victim of crime in their borough, a list of victim support groups, advice on seeking counselling and a guide to bereavement! Followed up by a letter from a victim support group that the Plod had clearly passed my name to.I wonder, was this recorded as a serious and undetected crime? For all the admin stuff, I never heard a word from the Old Bill... A bit of selective mailing could improve things no end.Ian
Steve Gee

Post by Steve Gee »

kanonkopdrinker wrote: Perhaps someone will write in to tell me that they got done for not displaying ...
Yes, afraid so, and to rub salt in the wound the tax disc had only been off the bike for about 30 minutes ! It was an old kawi gt750 (the most under rated bike of all time in my opinion) I fitted a full fairing every autumn and took it off again come spring. This particular spring the disc was in a car type holder on the screen, with no holder to move it to I rode to Halfords to buy one, coming back to the bike, there was a traffic warden about to write a ticket, I explained the situation, told her the tax disc was still on the fairing at home, even showed her the bolt on disc holder I'd just bought, and she still did me ! She did tell me I could go to court and argue the case but that I'd still get done for not displaying, so I just payed up. Steve.
MrB

Post by MrB »

You too were going to Halfords? There's a pattern emerging here, maybe Chris (a few posts back up) was right! If there was a prize going for dealing with issues like this it would definitely be awarded to Grahams' mate - marvellous story. Probably the best thing to do with a such a miserable traffic warden too; might even have got a round of applause from the police. wink Johnny
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Graham, I bet the Old Bill nicked your mate for assault, and they must have been cruising allmost on the doorstep to have responded to the neighbour's 999 call before he had time to drive away,(and I bet they didn't nick the "tea leaves")great story though, had me laughing loudly,regards J.B.