CR700W

Charles Wilson

CR700W

Post by Charles Wilson »

https://www.crightonmotorcycles.com/
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/02/cri ... otorcycle/

I may have to sell my Chaparral 2E to make room for it in the garage but I think it would look nice next to my P4 Ferrari, doncha' think?
$116.000 appears to be a bargain.

Insurance is to be sold in 30 second increments or 100 meter lengths, whichever comes first.

All seriousness aside, those on this Site who participated in this Project, going back 50 years and more should be very Proud of this result!

WOW!!!
fogrider

Re: CR700W

Post by fogrider »

Having read through both of the above sites, the bike, the technology is sheer genius, fantastic. In the world of rotaries, B.C. has created a masterpiece, I've spoken to him a couple of times at 'bike events and I found him easy to approach and willing to discuss his bikes and the "workings".
Now, Brian, what about some new rotors and ceramic seals for us mortals ?
As for the price, if I had the money, a CR700 or a Britten V1000 ?
OK, one of each !
Regards all, and compliments to B.C. , I would give you a medal for services to motorsport , if I could.......

Terry
East Yorks.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Oh to be 50 years younger and win the lottery Very Happy,J.B.
holger999

Post by holger999 »

the CR700W from

BRIAN CRIGHTON is so inspiring that it will be a great pity...that the majority of the 25 motorbikes will disappear into museums and private collections.
With the effort and the technical perfection it should be ridden and driven...
Unfortunately, the technology developed for collections is developed, tested and inspiring for nothing....

Greetings
Holger
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

holger999 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:30 am the CR700W from
BRIAN CRIGHTON is so inspiring that it will be a great pity...that the majority of the 25 motorbikes will disappear into museums and private collections.
Ahhh, another Rotary Engine Story.
With the effort and the technical perfection it should be ridden and driven...
YES! There are any number of pristine condition RE-5s in garages. I rode mine for about 8 years. I still have most of 1 1/2 engines in the shed.
I'm very glad I rode it every day.
Unfortunately, the technology developed for collections is developed, tested and inspiring for nothing....
The Story of the Norton Rotary is found in a variety of places. Private companies, governments..."DON"T PRODUCE THIS BIKE IN NUMBERS!!!"
Even the classic: "ONLY produce 100!!!"

Frustrating.

At least 25 of these are being produced. Perhaps the Technology on display will entice some company to design and produce more.
Mass production, the revival of the Motorcycle Industry and all that. Capitalism.

The snowflakes won't be in power forever...
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Unfortunately,in this modern drive for "clean engines" the poor old Rotory is a bit of a looser,Mazda must have spent shedloads of dosh trying to get the emissions down,(plus the truly horrendous fuel consumption) but even they had to admit defeat in the end evil,but,who knows wink,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

SAE 770044

The Hot Rotor:
Curtiss-Wright experimented with a Plate literally screwed into the Rotor [Note: Norton did this as well. They were known as "Hand Grenade Rotors". The research Platforms were a bit different]. An air-gap between this Plate and the Rotor insulated the Rotor face and kept the heat isolated from the Rotor. Emissions came down to the level of the "good" V-6 engines of that time (Late 1970s).

See also:
Audi investigated the "Thin Film" Rotor where oil was not sloshed around in cells but sent around the periphery of the Rotor, leaving the Rotor to heat up appropriately. The temp was moderated and adjusted, no too hot, not too cold.

Direct Injection:

The Pilot Injector Concept is solid and has been around as seen in the above SAE Paper. There is then the Main Injector to deal with.

Can that all be packaged into an Air-Cooled Hot Rotor?