Hydraulic clutches

johnbirchjar

Hydraulic clutches

Post by johnbirchjar »

To Roger Williams(brother of John)Re:Hydraulic Clutch for his rotorie.
I tried the one on Richards "Supreme Commander" many summers back(probably 15/20?) when I was thinking of having one fitted to my Classic,the difference on effort required to pull in the leaver was minimal,and I didn't think was worth the £300+ quid for the conversion,just my own personal opinion(I expect it is a bit more than £300 quid now exclaim)ride safe,J.B.
Clive603

Re: Hydraulic clutches

Post by Clive603 »

I reckon the hydraulic clutch on my Supreme is a bit lighter than the original cable operation.

I have small hands so there were always issues with getting the biting point close enough to the handlebar to have decent control without being so close that the clutch dragged even with the lever right back. Post Supreme conversion the hydraulic actuation put the biting point further out than I cared for. Enough to struggle a little with winter gloves.

Final fix was to modify a set of Chinese import dog leg levers so they actually fitted and exploit the adjustment system. Playing around with Yamaha parts book offerings got me pretty much nowhere.

Am I the only guy infuriated by the way the Chinese can make a wonderful cosmetic job of CNC machining and anodising for a few pounds yet not spend time actually verifying that what has been made is the correct size to fit/work straight out of the box. Strapping the things down onto the Bridgeport to re-machine was almost as big a pain as measuring the errors in the first place. Leaving everything on the bike didn't help access.

Clive
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

My cable operated clutch recently lost out at the Aberfoyl NOC lightest clutch award to another Commander, I meant to see what it had (cable/hydraulic) but did not get round to looking. Some time ago I fitted over size ball bearing in the clutch lift plate assembly looking for the allusive finding neutral when stopped, without success I might add.

I manage ok with my present set up, when I become unable to pull in the clutch I will most likely not be riding anyway.

Happy days !!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Tony,I also tried the "bigger ball bearings" route,but also like you, it made no discernible difference, so as the miles rolled by I got into the habit of snicking the old girl into neutral before coming to a halt smiley,
I have to do the same with the Honda,it also is a bit of a pig to get into neutral when stationary,one just learns to live with these foibles wink,ride safe,J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Hello John,

Many thanks for posting the info re Hydraulic clutch operation. I will pass this on to my brother.

Regards,
John.
R Williams

Post by R Williams »

Thanks to all for the info on my question about hydraulic assisted clutches on Classic rotaries !!. If anybody has a picture of the actual set up, it would be nice to see. Many thanks again.