commander engine finally started

trevair

commander engine finally started

Post by trevair »

hi
today after flooding the cylinders with oil and rotating the engine with turning the back wheel aver days and servixcing the su carbs and fuel tap after cleaning the tank which wasent so bad
i have started the engine it fired up soon after the diaphragm opened and float chambers filed with copious amounts of smoke as expected and listened to the oil boiling in exhausts
problem is it sounds so good, part of me was hoping it would clang and fart so i would have known i had to strip engine and do moly sides so now im unsure but thats life
tonight im relatively happy
regards trev
johnbirchjar

Re: commander engine finally started

Post by johnbirchjar »

Surly a good start?so now you can sort out the rest of the bike wink,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

yes john i can but unsure of which way to go with this being only 1989 model and frame is like new no dings or bangs all my other bikes ive stripped them down and sprayed frame then built up from there, but not sure with this one think its just rebuild not restore although everything will have to be done. panels are in primerbut cant understand paint there were loads of litle bubbles on the bike thought it had been resprayed and bad job done but ive bought some more panniers and mudguard and they have same little bubbles on them strange would love to know what paint was used and did they use gelcoat on the fibreglass
watch this space
regards trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sorry Trev,can't help you with the paint question's,but I'm sure someone in the club will wink,J.B.
re5rotary

Post by re5rotary »

the little bubbles will be humidity blisters in the paint, a very common problem with painting fibreglass if everything is not perfectly dry.
trevair

Post by trevair »

Hi re5
Makes sense but iwas told its more to do with fibreglass ive been spraying since 1975 and never e perianced this although saying that these blisters arent mine was on the bike ehen i got thsts why it was cheap
Have now read into it thank goodness ive always used proper materials
Regards trev