my old Classic

johnbirchjar

my old Classic

Post by johnbirchjar »

Just seen my old Classic up for sale at Cosmo Motorcycles,twelve and a half grand!!wow,I would have thought nine?ten?(tops,seems like I am well out of touch)still,I got what I wanted for it,SVF,J.B.
cdrkeith

Re: my old Classic

Post by cdrkeith »

It does seem a tad 'optimistic' (I am not sure that is the correct word)......especially when taken together with the fact that I sold it to Cosmo for £6500 just two weeks ago ! It's all very well saying that an item is worth what anyone will pay for it, but I get the feeling that classic bike dealers and auction houses are actually driving up prices of classic bikes. Venture capitalists, private equity firms......classic bike dealers and auction houses -- the world would probably be a better place without them. Discuss.
cdrkeith

Post by cdrkeith »

Meanwhile, back in the real world......there's a Commander on Ebay for £5k.

K
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Keith may well be right about auction houses.
A case in point being last Friday with me looking to do a 'phone bid on a "T" reg(1997) Honda CB500 that had not been MOT'd since 2009,loking at the auction video and listening to the auctioneer's sound track comments,it looked a nice clean bike,and only 3,550 miles on the clock,so I was willing to bid up to twelve hundred quid,the bidding started at two grand!!?,for a twenty year old bike that had been stood for 11years!! (thats the sort of money a dealer would want for a bike with 12 months MOT with FSH)needless to say I let it go.
I have since e-mailed the auction house asking them if they would let me know what the final bid was,I am still waiting for them to get back to me,I will report anon,SVF,J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi John. The advert states that is has matching numbers. Didn't you say that this wasn't the case.
Sorry, if i'am mistaken....

Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Jannes,
I expect they mean matching engine and frame numbers,in which case they are correct,both are as the bike left the factory,J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Thought I recognised it lol..

Don't tell them I built the engine that makes it earth 20k lol
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
cdrkeith

Post by cdrkeith »

Don't tell me you rebuilt the motor on that Classic now for sale on Ebay too......at an actual £20k ?! Dealers.....

Auction Houses......they are quite prone to 'inventing bids' before an assembled audience of bidders....God knows what they are getting up to with 100% online /telephone auctions, with no-one actually present to provide a modicum of policing.

K
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

A bit like having a licence to print money Very Happy,J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

cdrkeith wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:54 pm Don't tell me you rebuilt the motor on that Classic now for sale on Ebay too......at an actual £20k ?! Dealers.....

Auction Houses......they are quite prone to 'inventing bids' before an assembled audience of bidders....God knows what they are getting up to with 100% online /telephone auctions, with no-one actually present to provide a modicum of policing.

K
Sorry I demand the right to no comment lol
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....