NSU RO80,

Assen

NSU RO80,

Post by Assen »

Saw on Youtube this wunderfull documentary about the NSU RO80. In it of course Felix Wankel. The documentary is called "NSU RO80, das Wankelauto". This documentary is German spoken.
Even if you don't understand German, it is a very nice documentary. Easy to follow.
A question to David Cameron; you still own the RO80? Still going?
In the documentary there are 2 people who have their car more than 30 years and still use them daily. There is also a guy who build himself a brandnew RO 80 from parts. The last RO80 ever.
David; what oil do these cars use and how is it lubed?

Sorry, for bringing up a car instead of a motorbike, but i like these cars very much and think they are very interesting for Wankel-fans.

Jannes
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: NSU RO80,

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi Jannes,

Yes, I still have the Ro80 - one day I will put it back on the road - the engine and gearbox are good, but the body needs a bit of work.
Still not too bad for a 47 year old car. It was our first car!
For oil, I use(d) our old friend Shell Rotella 30.

David
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Opening door to rotary cars.
I was talking to guy in Tesco car park last Monday while he was sat in his RX8 cool,he was the second owner(he'd had the car just over a year)amazingly it had covered over 90,000 miles and was still on the original engine exclaim,(we'v all heard the horror stories about knackered engines with not a lot of miles done evil)he loved it Very Happy,(even if it was a bit "quirky" wink) it was his "weekend car"We chatted "Rotaries" for a good 15 minutes,although he admitted he knew nothing about the Rotary bikes of any make cry, SVF,J.B.
Assen

Post by Assen »

An RX8? I would love one.
Unfortunatly there are no specialiced dealers in the Netherlands like in the UK,as far as i know.
Buying one would be a bit of a gamble. If i would be living in the UK, i would take the gamble.
They seem to being lubed by thin Multigrade oil instead of our bikes running on singlegrade. I think the rotors of a RX8 dont run on needlebearings, but on shells with whitemetal. Perhaps that has someting to do with it?
Anyway, very interessting, wankels or as some Brits write wankles...

Jannes
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Assen wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 am...what oil do these cars use and how is it lubed?
The RE-5 used the KKM-502 Motor, suitably updated and engineered, and the Ro-80 used two KKM-502s as a two rotor engine. The engine was named the 612. See the SAE Papers on both of these fine engines.

In the SAE Paper on the RE-5, it plainly states that a good LOW ASH 10w-40 oil is fine and OK.

No need for exotics, although through the years, a number of users have praised the 20w-50 or whatever similar.

CW
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If it's recommended by Suzuki& NSU to use multi-grade oil for their engines,I wonder why Nortons insisted on none-multi-grade oils for their Rotories? I also wonder if anyone had ever used a multi-grade in their Norton?(I think Dell Boy told me he did once in a dire emergency wink)SVF,J.B.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

johnbirchjar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:03 pm If it's recommended by Suzuki& NSU to use multi-grade oil for their engines,I wonder why Nortons insisted on none-multi-grade oils for their Rotories? I also wonder if anyone had ever used a multi-grade in their Norton?(I think Dell Boy told me he did once in a dire emergency wink)SVF,J.B.
I would hazard a guess that this reflects the Fichtel and Sachs Development Line. The small air-kooled engines had a Housing Race-Way of steel and bronze. "In-the-Field" for a stationary runs-hot engine would be a lowest cost, built for a cheap but effective lubricating System

"40 weight sounds about right and it's everywhere".
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

From Norbye, Wankel Engine, ISBN 0-8019-5591-2, pp. 328 - 330:

KM-37 Lubrication:
Shell Rotella SAE 30 or 40

KM-48:
Shell Rotella SAE 30
Essolub HD30
BP Outboard-Motor Oil
Mobiloil Outboard
Mobiloil TT
Mobilmix TT

KM914:
Shell Rotella SAE 30
Essolub HD30
BP Outboard Motor Oil
Mobiloil Outboard
Mobiloil TT
Mobilmix TT

Editorial Comment:

When I had my beloved 2nd Generation RX-7, my wife (ummm...my very beloved wife), at the time a traveling Nurse, took an assignment in Wyoming, late winter. In zero degree weather, the RX-7 would turn over a few times and simply start - every time! The other cars were very iffy in the starting department at the hospital parking lot. Others were very impressed.

We often forget just how rock-solid these engines are. The F&S engines came from a company that had years of experience in small 2-stokes and the various methods of lubricating them. Note the single weight oils and 2-stroke oils in the above list.

Enter the Norton and the Sainted David Garside. The F&S engines were heavily modified - also thanx, R. Negus et. al. - yet the lubrication system used the same type oils. The roller bearings felt right at home with this.

I've been known to squeeze a penny very tightly. I ran the cheapest 10w-40 I could find in the RE-5 and it ran just fine except for the times I...well, never mind.

The Ro-80 had the same carbs (Solex 18-32) as the RE-5 (Licensed to Mikuni) with all of the same problems. I don't think that using a multi-grade in either "Line", NSU or F&S, would matter very much. Maybe at the margins, I don't know.

The engines are so reliable. I know that to be true.
Handle with care and pride and you will be rewarded.
Use good oils and take care of these gems. They will repay you handsomely.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Amen to that,SVF,J.B.