Help with Classic gas tank

Jeff mcCoy

Re: Help with Classic gas tank

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

andover.PNG
Started on cleaning tank. I was able to remove the compression nut on the bottom of the tank and with a carbide burr, split the compression fitting without touching the copper tube. I then hooked the bottom of the tank flange with a slide hammer, and pulled off the flange without damage. The terrible looking gunk was dried fuel and rust that formed on the filler neck of the tank flange. the alloy tank has a coating of dried fuel that should be easy to remove. Seems the PO had problems with a leak, as there is a small patch of glue type substance on the bottom of the right hand seam. Now, I can clean and coat the inside of the tank to seal any leaks, or I can strip and repaint. It looks like there is green body filler under the paint, anyone know how much Norton typically used? Will still have to have to come up with decals, see invoice.Suggestions? Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff mcCoy wrote: Suggestions? Jeff
As I mentioned in a previous post, the correct decal number, as shown in the Parts List, is 92-0978. Is that a typo on the ANIL invoice, or did you ask for 92-0976?The tanks were hand-made from simple resin tool pressings and are less than perfect profile under the paint. No two are identical, and the amount of filler varies.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Jeff mcCoy

Post by Jeff mcCoy »

Thank you for the correction Richard. The copy of a bad copy of the parts book looked to be a 6 not an 8. I am sure as soon as I correct this, try will be available. I guess a new parts book is in order.Jeff
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Jeff,Part number 00-4237; ANIL has plenty stock at UK£16.00 each (+ postage). Original print run from 1988; every Classic owner really should have one!R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!