Starting Commander after 5 years

jackdaw

Starting Commander after 5 years

Post by jackdaw »

How should I approach this?Has some stale fuel - maybe a 1/2 gallon still in her - how do I get most of it out?Have changed plugs.What if anything should I do to the carbys?Anything else I should do before firing her?Thanks in advance! Reg
Dell Boy

Re: Starting Commander after 5 years

Post by Dell Boy »

Take plugs out. Pump plenty of oil into the chambers whilst rotating the engine backwards. Hold the oil pump cable up a 1/4" with a clip.Turn the engine over on the starter a few turns to pump the excess oil out of the chambers & to distribute it in the chambers. Put plugs in & start the bike. You will dissapear into a cloud of smoke & the fire brigade will arrive in about ten minutes. Derek.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If you didn't run the carbs dry before laying the bike up they may well be "gunged up"(technicle term wink)and have to be "soniced". Adding a couple of gallons to the old pertrol should sort out that little problem,it also may be advisable to start up the bike out in the open,(if you have understanding neighbours)or wear breathing apperatus if firing up in the garage Very Happy,good luck,J.B.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

New plugs ordered, syphoned about 3 litres of what looked ok petrol from her today.Gunna pump out the rotella x thats in her and replace with synthetic.Was thinking the problem I have previously posted about thrapp/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=557http://ww ... =1149could be the ignition controller problem that is fixed with the minimag box (fingers crossed)A lot cheaper and less stress for me than going down the moly coating path.As summer is approaching and my motivation is high at the moment, I could be back on the road soon!
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Dell Boy wrote:Take plugs out. Pump plenty of oil into the chambers whilst rotating the engine backwards. Hold the oil pump cable up a 1/4" with a clip.Turn the engine over on the starter a few turns to pump the excess oil out of the chambers & to distribute it in the chambers. Put plugs in & start the bike. You will dissapear into a cloud of smoke & the fire brigade will arrive in about ten minutes. Derek.
So last summer has been and gone but this week I finally got the Silkolene synth oil from the supplier 2700km away (he gets it from UK smiley .Dell Boy, how much oil would you recommend to put in each chamber?I better get hold of the fire dept and let em know its a false alarm! Cheers,Reg
fogrider

Post by fogrider »

My F1 sport was off the road 10 years. I had drained all fuel so knew that side was OK. I sprayed a small shot of WD40 in each chamber every day for a week, turning the engine over each time. Just to ensure no seals were gummed up. (was run on Rotella).She fired up no problem, rode it for the summer and it was running brilliant. Can't wait for next summer now !Regards, Terry.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

added oil to both plug holes - bike fired ok with a ton of smoke. This was for about 5 minutes when the smoke eased. It then stalled and wouldnt start again.Not feeling too optimistic cry .
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Jackdaw, Just put new plugs in it'll run again. They're just oiled up. Regards, Joe.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Joe wrote:Hello Jackdaw, Just put new plugs in it'll run again. They're just oiled up. Regards, Joe.
Had put new plugs in Joe.After the smoke had cleared (and the bike cooled) checked the plugs and they look fine.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

More oil in plug holes. More smoke. Ran for about 4 mins and stalled.Any ideas?Apex seals?Scoured plates? never moly'dReg
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Is fuel continuing to get through?Some people have had fuel filters collapse on them, especially when using fuel with added ethanol. Maybe rig up a separate fuel supply and see if it still happens?David
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Reg,As I understand it from the previous posts:.you put oil in the chambers and fitted new plugs.you started it with lots of exhaust smoke.after a few minutes, after the smoke cleared, it stopped and wouldn't re-start.you put more oil in the chambers, re-fitted the same plugs without cleaning them, and it started.after the smoke cleared, it again stopped and wouldn't re-startIf that is the case, put NEW plugs in (and no oil in the chambers) and see if it startsIf it doesn't start, then there is insufficient compression, probably stuck rotor gas seals or scored side plates. It starts with extra oil only because the presence of so much oil reduces compression leakage - until it's all been burned off.If it does start and then stops after a minute or so, there is probably a problem with the fuel supply.; that could be something simple like the vacuum pipe perished, the filter partially blocked, or the fuel tap needing a new seals/diaphragm kit.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Thanks guys, I'll grab another set of plugs and see how I go!