Flying the rotary flag!

eyeguy

Flying the rotary flag!

Post by eyeguy »

Hi chapsThis Wednesday, Classic Bike magazine are coming to my place to test the Classic, RE5M and W2000. We will be heading towards Box Hill, late morning, so if you're about rotating, why not come and say Hi, anything we can do to promote the cause is good, right?I'm trying to convey the message to the unenlightened that rotaries make for fun practical classic bikes, not the unreliable oddities they're so often perceived to be, although..... wink Hope to see some of you there. CheersATGPaul
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Flying the rotary flag!

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Don't forget to mention the club Paul!!Do you know who the photographer will be?David
eyeguy

Post by eyeguy »

Every third sentence, David!No, but the journos are the editor, Ben Miller and John Naish, who rode my turbo last year, which was the moment I punted the rotaries. I think it's a cover article, too, Crikey, best find the polish! CheersATGPaul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

They were meant to test my IP2 about two years ago but never even bothered to tell me they were cancelling. Never bought the mag since...
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
eyeguy

Post by eyeguy »

I think what swung it was that naish liked my Turbo and asked about my other bikes. When they found out I had three different rotaries it makes organising it very straightforward. They'd better turn up, mind, I've taxed and insured all three, the Deek was off the road as I'd planned to restore it, it's, erm, in patinated condition! CheersATGPaul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes I think they were trying to organise a group test when I was asked, I was ready maybe others weren't lolMaybe I need to organise a two stroke group test I could do that on my own.. red face
holger999

Post by holger999 »

hello, please give information.. which Classic Bike issue the test is plannedregardsholger
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

So how did the Classic Bike photo-shoot go?Tell, tell .....DC
eyeguy

Post by eyeguy »

Well. It was all a bit odd, TBQH. The first half of the day was spent taking static shots, about 100 yards from my shop where they were kept. We then rode out to Cobham and onto the north downs, the rest of the day was taken up performing second gear passes trying to look fast. Total mileage was around 50 , pathetic really. There was a moment when Rick said he'd not got out of fourth gear and I suggested going for a ride on the bike at more than 20 mph. Fat chance!All the bikes worked well and Rick and John seem like nice guys. I think they liked the Norton best, which is a bit obvious and hope they try to be objective about the other two. It was an interesting experience, but not one I'd care to repeat. For me, it's all about the bikes, for the magazine it's about the pictures. I think it'll be in the September issue CheersATGPaul
eyeguy

Post by eyeguy »

Well, it's in the latest issue, just arrived at my fastness. As I suspected, the actual riding references are as rare as our bikes out on the road, it's nearly all culled from period articles, plus a few photographs. Disappointing, to say the least. Still, at least there are several articles on Triumph twins in there, there's lots to learn about those every flippin' month cry ATGPaul
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Yes I did think as much after my dealings with them....Look at Classic Mechanics August issue that is my Moto Morini and they did a seven page article and a brilliant write up, cant wait for them to do another bike from my old bangers wink