sat nav's

johnbirchjar

sat nav's

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, Iv'e been toying with the idea of buying a sat nav to fit on the Classic,Iv'e had a bit of a "surf" talk about "can't see the wood for the trees" exclaim, I am at a total loss,any guidance would be greatly appreciated,rgds,J.B.
FloridaMike

Re: sat nav's

Post by FloridaMike »

Have a little experience with these . . . they are interesting, to say the least.First one was an older unit, only did lat/long, and you needed to reference that to a paper map. Once you did, you could say with some confidence "I'm here". Garmin 12, I believe, still have it in a box somewhere.Next one was an EKP-4 which is an aviation-specific moving map display. Slick little toy, shows the sectional (aviation map) plus your position, speed, heading, altitude, etc. It EATS batteries, you need to plug it into ship power.It also works in a car - it is so interesting that I found myself looking at the GPS and not out the window . . . which could *definitely* be a problem on a bike (as well as in a car).Next ones were dedicated car GPS units. First one went back because it got lost inside of 10 minutes from initialization (broke satellite lock), replacement was only a little better, after about an hour, it advised me that the nearest restaurant was east 42 miles - which was 38 miles out in the ocean. It went back, too, after a few harsh words with the so-called "customer support" division who barely knew that they even sold them. (Magellan, FYI). One of them had a "nag" function which constantly advised me "You are exceeding the speed limit!" and also advised me that my home address didn't exist. Now if I could get the tax assessor to use that GPS, I'd be most pleased.Conclusions:1) Buy from someplace that has a warranty and lets you exchange the unit right there, not mail it off to Outer Slobbovia after a four hour BS discussion with "customer service" just to get an RMA. 2) Hand it to your passenger, don't try to watch the GPS and the road and the other drivers all at the same time. (In aviation we caution pilots not to drop the airplane trying to fly the microphone, Bernoulli flies the airplane, not Marconi.)3) The database has errors, so don't be surprised if a street or address is not there or is in the wrong place. I have read reports of people driving off docks because the GPS said there was a bridge there - yes, really!4) Buy a cheap one first to see if you like it, and if the answer is yes, then buy an expensive one with all the whistles and bells (and a STEEP learning curve).I'm not actually lost, I'm just temporarily unsure of my exact position.Best,FloridaMike
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi JohnI have been using a Garmin Zumo 550 on the RE5; easy to use with gloved hands - and supposedly water-proof though I haven't ever been in a real deluge. (yet!)I imagine that behind your fairing would be an easier environment in which for it to live. Very pleased with it - and their helpline is in the UK on a 0800 number to boot!David
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi John I agree with David I have a Garmin bike fit kit and it works really well and easy to use. I Bluetooth mine to my helmet now.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that guys,sounds like Garmin is the way to go, (I have a birthday soon,hints will be droped wink)ride safe,J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

Just think how many quality maps you could buy for the same money. most smart phones have a google nav facility to fine tune to individual addresses/postcodes. Any way real men don't get lost (they may be temporarily unsure of their position) Very Happy
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello John, I have two sat navs, a TomTom Rider and a Garmin Zumo 660. Both were very easy to use direct from the box and neither required reading any instructions and both have Bluetooth and come with car mounts too. I'm sure most sat navs now come with life time maps but make sure, they're expensive to buy otherwise. Kind regards, Joe.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi johnI have a tomtom one, it's about £100 and £25 oxford bar water proof mount cover and it's perfect and the oxford cover is waterproof where as the sat nav isn't is saves loads because bike sat navy's are stupid expensive.You have to stop and take your gloves off to change it but then if you use one whilst riding anyway your not giving your full attention to the road I any case and that hurts!Russ
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)