Water Pump Tell Tale Hole

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Water Pump Tell Tale Hole

Post by Anthony Duffield »

If the seal on my water pump fails, where will the water leak from, where exactly is the tell tale hole?Many thanksTony
Richard Negus

Re: Water Pump Tell Tale Hole

Post by Richard Negus »

Here!
4002-35.jpg
Poke a bit of stiff wire up it to confirm it isn't blocked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Richard,Many thanks for your prompt reply.I have not owned my Commander long and this last weekend renewed the coolant, after getting the engine up to temperature I noticed a dribble from the area you highlighted, on closer inspection I found the water to be coming from a grub screw in what I know now to be the water pump tell tale hole, looks like I will have to overhaul the pump.Thanks again for your help.RegardsTony
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Tony,The hole is threaded to allow it to be temporarily plugged during original manufacture pressure test. It certainly shouldn't have a plug in it now! If the seal is leaking coolant, it can only then escape through the bearings, doing them no good at all.Fitting a plug is a bodge to conceal a leaking water seal from a potential buyer's notice.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Pump stripped, overhaul kit ordered from Startright, not sure until I receive the new mechanical seal if I will have to machine the pump housing. Unless someone has the size of the new seal at hand?