Setting the idle on su carbs

rjg30091982

Setting the idle on su carbs

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi guys,After fitting a new CDI unit to my bike and working through loads of electrical problems I have one issue left, when the bike retards the ignition when's its warm the bike cuts out, it starts again fine and runs smoothly providing you keep the revs above 800. Let go and it cuts out again!It would appear you can't just set the idle on these carbs unless I am reading the descriptions wrong on e net!Any ideas?ThanksRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
gripper

Re: Setting the idle on su carbs

Post by gripper »

The idle is controlled by the air bleed screw on the alloy casting forward of the carbs ie on the bit between the carb and the engine. screwing it out will speed up the tick over. Set it high and adjust to achieve a smooth tickover without hunting. The overall mixture is set by the screw on the side of the carb body and adjusts the height of the main jet. This can be set by measuring with the depth gauge part of a digital vernier caliper through the top of the carb body with the vacuum chamber removed. If you've fiddled with this one, it will need resetting. It doesn't normally need adjusting once set.Dave
rjg30091982

Re: Setting the idle on su carbs

Post by rjg30091982 »

You mean the screw furthest on the left?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)