Thai crash test Interpols

rjg30091982

Thai crash test Interpols

Post by rjg30091982 »

Hi guys,I just flicked on the TV in Thailand just to catch some TV program in Thai about crash testing, just as I switched on I saw a completely yellow Interpol rammed into a yellow car, it was definitely an Interpol, unmistakable by its fins as it turned 360 and its fairing and exhausts were a give away.The program wasn't Thai it was dubbed, does anyone know anything about these test Interpols??? What a waste of a bike!!!Russ
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
Richard Negus

Re: Thai crash test Interpols

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Russ,Norton had a long contract with TRRL (Transport and Road Research Laboratory) at Crowthorne for supply of bikes, and repair services, for their crash test programme aimed at reducing motorcycle casualties. They first supplied Interpol 2's and later, white Commanders to be repeatedly crashed/repaired/crashed/........ at great profit to Norton. The repaired bikes didn't have to run, just launched forward by trolley or cable into cars, walls, Armco barrier, etc..The net result was the infamous leg-protectors, structures not unlike the Forth Rail Bridge, inside the fairing. They certainly worked, as demonstrated in a TRRL video, where the bike plus dummy was launched at about 30 degrees into a wall. The bike stopped, the rider flew through the air, both legs still intact, but 'died' of a broken neck when he hit the ground head-first. Impressive demonstration!At least two display/demonstrators were kitted with leg protectors; an IP2 that was recently for sale, new bike zero miles, and a Commander that I refurbished and converted to Krauser panniers whilst at Rugeley.Be very cautious when buying IP2 or Commander bits that have yellow emulsion paint on them. They are parts from TRRL test bikes and may well be defective in one way or another.
4168-02.JPG
ESM3_02.jpg
The IP2 had a hand-made aluminium fairing, large enough to cover the leg-protector gubbins. It also had a dummy air-bag recessed into the top of the fuel tank and a prototype Girling ABS system. That didn't work either.R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have a friend that has some of the old TRRL bits as his father had a contract to clear away the crashed cars and bikes from the site. He wont part with them anyway and they are all stored in an old freight container getting older and older cry
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Paul,The bikes may have had the possibility of being 'runners' when they were first sold to TRRL, but each repair used firstly sub-standard bits and then out and out production scrap. I wouldn't grieve too much for the parts in that container, it's probably all scrap anyway, waiting for the unwary buyer.R.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If memory serves, a long standing club member owns a TRL,and has done for years,J.B.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Thanks for the update Richard! Quite interesting results to save your legs but break your neck!!!That IP2 is for sale on eBay at the moment for 6k far too much in my opinion it was re listed last week because it didn't sell either.You won't find it on motorcycles and scooters it has been listed in a different category, type norton Interpol in the search field and it will come up. If I remember it sold about 1 year ago as it was advertised then as we'll, I was going to buy it before I got my Commando Interpol.I take it its not a good buy then??CheersRuss
P52 Police Commander (Dyfed Powys Police)\nIP2 (West Midlands Police)\nCommando Mk3 ES \nCommando Interpol (Hampshire Police)
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

111010473842. Here is the item number for the IP2
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

If you want a NEW IP2 that a little different, then its a very good buy.Underneath that fairing, it is a new, straight-off-the-assembly-line IP2 made in 1986. It didn't take much to get it running nicely again, even though it's now more than a quarter of a century old; run it on Silkolene until it needs a moly job. The headlamp wiring needed finishing off, but that's a simple job and may already have been done.Junk the Girling ABS for a standard set of brake hoses, again may have been done by now.The fairing is well made and solidly mounted, although simplifying the brackets by removing the 'deformable structure' underneath should reduce its weight and improve airflow around the engine.
ESM3-15.jpg
By the way, I don't know the current advertiser, nor am I on commission smiley .R.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

As much as I love the IP2 and I ride mine more than my commander now since I'm afraid to use my commander after having it resprayed!!! But I still need to get an F1 first! Mind you if I stopped chasing women half way around the world I'd have had about 4 F1's now!!!The fairing definitely looks better on the trrl one though!Ps did you see my IP2 on page 26 of Classic bike magazine feb issue? They printed a photo of that one and my commando Interpol but the best looking one I have the P53 they didn't print!!!CheersRuss
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Here it is!
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

rjg30091982 wrote:Ps did you see my IP2 on page 26 of Classic bike magazine feb issue? CheersRuss
No, didn't see it. I'm afraid I've become (or some say, always was) a grumpy when faced with an hour's reading for £4.50, and 75% of the content is advertising.It's not just motorcycles, it's the same with boating magazines and, probably, most other magazines now. R.
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Well you can read my attachment for free! That's £4.50 discount you owe me on the next rebuild!
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Interpol2471 wrote:I have a friend that has some of the old TRRL bits as his father had a contract to clear away the crashed cars and bikes from the site. He wont part with them anyway and they are all stored in an old freight container getting older and older cry
Hi to you AllWell thats a blast from the past back in 97 The TRRL and a very kind Dr Chinn and agreed to sell me all the Norton bikes. 15 in all, The engine's,gear boxes,Carbs and exhausts made the purchase worth my while I scrapped everything else. Richard forgot to mention the two complete commander police bikes that had NOT been crashed and were is good condition? They had the very heavy metal tanks for leg protecters bolted under the fairing and stuck on the outside of the bodywork moulded knee sliders? I remember when collecting everything I commented to the TRRL the only use the proctors would guarantee was the riders face digging into the clocks on heavy braking. That was the conclusion of the experiment. I could have had a Triumph TR6 saint as well but I declined. It had a very weird arm coming out of the top of the fuel tank and a pad to rest against the riders chest not very comfortable for the lady riders. I think this Triumph was a 1969 bike. The two police bikes had a G and a H plate I still have the paperwork. I sold them both with the leg protecters in place I was going to remove them but time over took events and thats another story.Ride SafeAndy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
gripper

Post by gripper »

I lived about 5 miles from the TRRL as a lad. The story was, that to enable them to be granted at least as much money for testing in the forthcoming year they would have to show that they had used all this years allocation of cash. To do that they would buy expensive cars and trash them. E types into brick walls etc. All in the name of research of course. (I'm sure someone will pop up on the forum and tell me it's all bol---ks)
rjg30091982

Post by rjg30091982 »

Gripper, it sounds about right, the police force is the same, save save save all year then in feb march time they throw money at over time for anything to spend all the money!!
Bob

Post by Bob »

This post reminded me about the test at Girling Track , Tony Dennis is holding the bike, the two Guys on our Left are I believe TRLL men, and not happy when I could not clear the anti lock brakes, my stopping distance actually increased even on the very low mu surface, when compared to having normal brakes.I think my report on ANTI lock brakes went something like this, “ These anti lock brakes bring a good riders stopping distance down to a moderately good riders”, Doug Hele observed more test at MIRIA and measures more test until TRLL was satisfied that the results was not biased. I do remember Demonstrating this same bike to HRH Prince Michael of Kent at MIRA new skid pan opening day, ATV and BBC filming, and with the bikes Blues lights flashing and sirens wailing I wheelied off the dry onto the wet skid pan and the belt drive slowed the front wheel to a stop, so letting the front wheel down and having to wait (and hope for the front wheel to start spinning) prior to actually doing the demonstration brake tests and stopping with a series of Kangaroo jerks to stop a few feet passed HRH, to which I think protocol would allow me to now say that he remarked “That looked very exciting” to which I replied ( in a falsetto ) it was pretty exciting for me also