eBay madness

Interpol2471

eBay madness

Post by Interpol2471 »

Malc stop buying everything from eBay and give someone else a chance LOL wink I know who you are HEHEHE Very Happy
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Malc

Re: eBay madness

Post by Malc »

Now how would you know who I am, I dont even know that myself. I had a look at the bids and it would appear there were about 6 or 7 bidders who probably all know each other as there aren't that many IP2 owners who would want spares. So which bidderwould you be?Can't be me anyway as I never use them to wear them out cry , just let other people use them once a year smiley ps do you want to buy some rotary spares ( in a plain brown wrapper so the wife wont know). wink
norton588

Post by norton588 »

Interesting ebay, i remember an F1 motor for sale in about 1995-6 it had no bids and sold for £450.00 with 1 bid. When the motor was collected i was offerd 2 more at the same cost, i did not take them as i had no need for them. I sold the one i had 2 years later for only £600.00 via ebay, i should have got all 3 but o well! also i remember in about 2001-2 a job lot of 6 yes 6 rcw/nrs racing bikes on sale on ebay , the starting bid was about $25,000 for the lot, they ran for 7 days and had no bid's i should have sold the house me thinks. The point about ebay is that you can offer a part for sale say on the Norton web site for £20.00 and get no interest, put it on ebay and get £40.00, and the part could have cost you £70.00 10 years ago. I have 2 new rcw housings so do i put them on ebay and sell them to a chap in Holland for £1500.00 or put them on the Norton web site and get an offer of £300.00. So its an odd thing ebay as there are lots rotary owners that just use ebay to find parts and dont use the Norton web site, thats just the way it is. Not sure what my point is just it is just the way it is!thanks Mark.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi Malc, I will give you a clue I have 2471 at the end of my name Very Happy And I think you know brown paper would never fool my wife she can smell rotary items even before the postman has walked down the road only cheap part I am looking for now is a capacitor as mine is on the way out.
Malc

Post by Malc »

I never think of going onto the Norton website for parts as I am not on the Norton Owners Club, 3 clubs are enough. E-bay is just a lottery sometimes but I find it interesting to see what sells.I have never had to change a capacitor and I was surprised that there was interest on the cush drive rubber, again something I have never had to change. Makes me think I am missing something and should I go and check the cush drive rubbers on mine.I thought the brake lamp switches would sell as they were a common problem, gradually only working if the brake was pulled hard enough to lock the wheel, awkward to change on the standard bike with the spray shield sat just below the switch.Every time you win something on e-bay you know you have paid too much as you have paid more than anyone else was prepared to pay!I was surprised that the 'new' Interpol advertised a few weeks ago didn't make more as the sum of the engine components if sold separately would have been close to the value it made. As the time approaches when one of mine has to go, I need to have an idea of when to sell in the current climate and what sort of price to ask. I can't see anyone tooling up to produce rotor shafts or housings for air cooled bikes so as time progresses will the value of the bikes go down through lack of spares or remain steady due to the desirability to own something different.I'm glad mine are air cooled other wise I would be re-mortgaging to buy the twin plug RCW housings!Malc
norton588

Post by norton588 »

Malc has very good point, there will come a time that the market value of the rotary bike (Norton) my well drop due to the ageing populas of the motorcycle world as it will shift from the classic type bike as we see it, Norton, BSA, Triumph etc. The jap classic group is very large at the moment and even the 1990's jap stuff is attracting lots of interest. The last fue classic bikes for sale in my area (Lincoln) have only been sold to bikers over 55, we all tend to go for what we grow up with, even the bike collectors in this area are talking about a loss on any bike thay sell at the moment, this could be just the credit crunch but the effects of this will be on us for a long time. As for the Rotary Norton just think it was 20-21 years ago that it won the british supercup, 92TT and 94 supercup with the Duckhams bike. The chaps i went to the TT with last year had no concept of why the Norton at the TT was of interest, us older guys did! so we need the young lads to take an interest in the older bikes to keep up the interest, and lots do, but look at the age of the spectators at the last fest 1000 bikes at Mallory Park, (the interest at the Norton display), most were over 45-50 i would think, i was 30 when Norton won the 1989 supercup, and what is the age of the bikers that have gon for the new range of Nortons? and we my have to accept that they are (MAY BE) better bikes than ones we that we all have ie rotarys. So the time will come where the value of the Norton rotary will come to a stand still, we my be at that point, as Malc pointed out the what did the last rotary go for on ebay, was it just you me and Malc that looked at it? Any how ebay is there as a world wide market place to use as we see fit, if i was to sell my bike at this time i think i would use ebay as the outlet and footprint is so wide, but any thing is only worth what the bidder will bid.Mark. ps i love Nortons BUT......
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I think it's like houses .... who cares what they are worth as long as you are not selling and my Rotary is going to be with me till the end Very Happy Well so far anyway lol