The new Norton Rotary

Derek Nicol
Site Admin

The new Norton Rotary

Post by Derek Nicol »

How typical is that! the last ever copy of the NOC's Roadholder magazine to drop through my door is also the most interesting... i refer to the Stuart Garner interview page 50-53.The (700cc) new engine has been completely redesigned. There is not one component that will be the same (as the 588).I can show you some of the first metal cut, the CNC machinery we have in house will make the whole engine, starting next week.We have internally OIL COOLED the rotors (rather than the 588's haphazard vaporising) and have the ability to peripheral port the engine.If it works we will supply it for the road, even if that is only 50 or 100 units for the uk.We will be running the new race bike in February 2010 and Michael Dunlop is signed to ride the 700cc bike in the IOM in June.Over to the skeptics... smiley
Derek Nicol
Site Admin

Re: The new Norton Rotary

Post by Derek Nicol »

Ah! just noticed 'Cornishman's post regarding this in the 'general discussion' section, it seems the Royal Mail is a bit slow around my part of the country. I see the skeptics have been busy already Very Happy
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Mr Garner told me at the tt the 700cc motor would have a lot of compatible parts with the f1 engine, the statement in road holder is no surprise, but to be fair to him he does not own the intellectual property rights as Richard points out NML own these , then Mr Garners team had no choice but develop a new engine, i hope the rotary comes of, my gut feeling is he will concentrate on the commando, but only time will tell. One thing for certain there be no new source of engine spares for 588 engines from this Norton companyRegards Wayne
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Stuart Garner told me at the Donington Festival that Joe Seiffert refused to sell him any of the drawings for the 588cc Norton rotary, which sort of forced his hand to go the 'design it from scratch' route ... they must be quite busy at the Donington factory because the email I sent them in October (after Stuart said to get in touch and come and spend half a day to discuss his rotary plans) last year is still waiting for a repsonse ...Ho hum ... wink
ZFD

Post by ZFD »

kanonkopdrinker wrote:Stuart Garner told me at the Donington Festival that Joe Seiffert refused to sell him any of the drawings for the 588cc Norton rotary, which sort of forced his hand to go the 'design it from scratch' route ... they must be quite busy at the Donington factory because the email I sent them in October (after Stuart said to get in touch and come and spend half a day to discuss his rotary plans) last year is still waiting for a repsonse ...Ho hum ... wink
Stuart was offered the drawings by Norton Motors Ltd but never even made a counteroffer. The statement that Joe Seifert refused to sell him any drawings is at best a misunderstanding between Stuart and Kanonkopdrinker. I know, I saw the paperwork. Norton Motors Ltd just made him aware they might have to copy some drawings for spares remanufacture purposes, because Stewart made it absolutely clear he was not interested in serving the spares requirements of the "old" Norton rotaries.Stewart was advised by Richard Negus and Pete Morris that, even for a redesign of the engine in a different configuration, the original drawings are a great help, advising on materials and critical dimensions. His answer was, and I quote, "I don't need the drawings, we have the engine 90% re-engineered by now." That was in 2008, on the evening before Norton Motors Ltd's last "Open Day".
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

cool I am quite honestly a bit bored with the whole "New Norton" scenario, I registered an interest in a purchase 6 months ago and have heard nothing.John Bloor had the right idea, get the product ready and then basically launch it.As someone put it in the Epitrochoid a few issues ago "empty cans make the most noise".Guitars, Cadillacs and Hillbilly music
gripper

Post by gripper »

I think if I had that sort of money to spend on a British bike I would be looking at the Rickman 997 shown in Motorcycle Sport and Leisure a couple of months ago. Re-engineered Triumph twin (Hinkley) revised cam drive, piper cams, ford injectors with a formula one fuel system. 99bhp, Oh yes and a Rickman frame just for good measure Very Happy Ok it's not a Norton but a handy tool all the same.
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi Everyone and Happy New YearIve been reading the threads about the New Norton company we all have our own ideas and expectations Myself I have a big respect for all what has been achieved in the past We all know about lack of investment and the wrong people in authority at the wrong time it happens all the time in business Norton is no exception. It would have been great if Norton Motors at Rugeley "Richard and Joe" had a Large shed full of money and kicked off the whole rotary scene with new bikes when Shenstone went pop it didnt happen, We have to get on with what we have nobody can expect to make a business run on enthusiasm.With sales so low for the rotary engine bikes a piston engine had to be available as an alternative as well. So I think we should wait and see what happens and let history be the judge.I keep a close eye on the the New Norton website pity about the TT effort Mr Chrighton left but reading between the lines Brian might be a cleaver person but a Factory cannot be ran as a one man band all employed have to work as a team and it was not Brians strong point.On the new Norton web site a year ago it invited people who expressed an interest in new bikes to contact them and be put onto a data base for updates. I did reference to a new road Rotary bike. No emails and no updates so six months later I contacted Norton via email asking politely I had no responce to my first email about registering my interest in a Rotary bike a few days later I had this letter from Nortons. It gives us hope for the future till then Ill enjoy my F1 RegardsAndy588tt smiley "Norton responce" to me as belowEveryone here wants a rip snorting rotary road bike, the oil cooled 700 will bring us closer to that . but first we have to get the race bike sorted, we are just about to cut metal on the first housings . the 700 will look the same as the 588 we will use the existing body and chassis parts for now . after that we can build a whole new bike and include the road bike application into that package. That process is a one year of if we have a good TT in 2010. Thanks , Royston Edwards Norton racing.
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!