oil pump adjustment.

johnbirchjar

oil pump adjustment.

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, After reading of all sorts of horror stories in the forum about too much oil is allmost as bad as not enough, I decided to have a look at the leaver position on the Classic's pump,cos I,ve often wondered why the old girl seemed to use quite a bit more oil than the Comanders in the Essex branch of the N.O.C.,(between250 &300miles to the pint) but I've allways put it down to the fact that she run a lot hotter.(130/140c.)("I'ts the Sprint fairing guv").when looking at the owners handbook for the Classic I was instructed to adjust the cable at 2000rpm,but the IP2 workshop manual says 3500rpm!! Well about 35,000miles ago John Williams rebuilt the engine and set the pump to start at 2000rpm so I thought "leave well alone" but it is a bit confusing do'nt you think? regards J.B.
Interpol2471

Re: oil pump adjustment.

Post by Interpol2471 »

John is right the pump should be set to the alignment 'c' mark at 2000rpm. If I remember correctly Pete Morris told me you can set it lower at about 1800 rpm if you do more town work and also make sure you remove the nylon spacer if you have it fitted holding the pump on at idle.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....