F1 Hugger

kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

F1 Hugger

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

The rear hugger on my F1 has developed some sloppiness caused it would seem by the rearmost securing bolts slackening off, allowing up & down play and in so doing, elongating the holes to ovals so now, no matter how tight they're done up, there's still some play. Before I go and get the Isopon and attempt a fibreglass repair - or to the expense of seeing if NML still have any new ones, can anyone tell me if (as new) the holes in the hugger were the diameter of the bolts - or the diameter of the little compressible rubber thingies into which they screw?TaDavid
Richard Negus

Re: F1 Hugger

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi David,Unless you particularly want to keep your bike original, may I suggest discarding the rubber M5 Wellnuts and using M6 screws, penny washers, and nyloc nuts to secure the hugger ? Even better, get another two of the anodised aluminium washers, as used at the seat fixing screw, and two countersunk M6 screws. Either way is more secure as, with the benefit of hindsight, the Wellnut is a bit feeble for that position.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Cheers for that Richard; I think I'll look in that direction .... DC
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Funny thing is, I've had another F1 in my workshop today with one of the hugger screws completely missing. It's hidden below the silencer so needs checking on a regular basis.I know Peter has a bin-full of the alloy washers at NML - so that'll be two more on Monday morning please .R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!