Re5 cdi unit

martinre5

Re5 cdi unit

Post by martinre5 »

hi ,I have just started to put together my re5A that i pulled apart a little while back ,as i am down to my last cdi unit has any body managed to adapt someover form of ignition system? . smiley cheers martin.
Mick Taylor

Re: Re5 cdi unit

Post by Mick Taylor »

Take a look at Lee Doxeys website http://www.angelfire.com/retro/roadster/index-12.html it shows the (very neat) fitting of a Boyer Bransden unit.Failing that, if you need one I have a couple of sparesMick.
martinre5

Post by martinre5 »

thanks mick ,i had not seen that site before. thats a realy nice looking A model . i see the owner says the bike came with the boyer unit so i wounder if the bike is still running points or weather this unit does away with them? I also found on the web another re5 running boyer ignition and that was a uk bike so it may well be this is the way to go , the only thing that bothers me slightly is how much choping of the wireing is envolved . (while talking about wiring has anybody ever had a nos loam from Sam C. just woudered if they where available as Rotary Recycle is closed at pres.) Very Happy sometime back i can rember Kim a re5 owner from Weymouth using a vovo elecrtonic ignition on his machine and offering to do this conversion for over owners ,but i dont know if he is still into re5s or has moved on to more sensible pastimes!. thanks also for your offer of a spare cdi unit if your sure you dont want to hang on to them let me know how much of the hard earned you would like and lets see where we go.ta very much for your reply martin.
Mick Taylor

Post by Mick Taylor »

Hi Martin, I'm sure if you e mailed Lee Doxey (the address is on his website) he would tell you how much work is involved in fitting the Boyer. I looked at it with casual interest myself and from memory it was not difficult, I dont think there was any irreversible butchery of the wiring harness involved. You can telephone Boyers, (Google them) their customer service is very good if you want any questions answered, and of course you already know which kit you need from Lee's site. I have two spare RE5 units, I only want to part with one as I have an A model similar to Lee's and an M model part way through restoration and I want to keep a spare. I would want £50 for a cdi box. The only downside is that one of my spares came from a recently running bike (my M), the other came from a 16,000m bike that blew it's rotor (no suggestion the ignition unit was to blame), they are both in the same box and I have no idea which is which.I would suggest exploring the Boyer route first as that is new parts and should have reasonably guaranteed reliability, especially as you could copy the amazingly neat fitting of Lee's and incorporate the unit within your old cdi box. If you want to restore your wiring harness take a look at 'Vehicle Wiring Products' website or order their catalogue, they sell kits that mimic the Japanese bullet connectors very well and even the block connectors, no more ghastly unreliable bulky British generic connectors. (don't buy the cheap crimping tool though, buy the decent one)Regards...........Mick.