IP 11 Grab Rail

draxdave

IP 11 Grab Rail

Post by draxdave »

IP 11 Grabrail fitting

Dear All, I am trying to fit a LHS grabrail to the 3366 IP11. I have the parts 55 & 58 as shown on AN Frame Suspension and Fittings drawings, so far so good. The bracket does not appear to be a straight fit to the “inside/underneath” of the frame, there is a bent over stiffening fold in the way. It appears that I will have to take a hacksaw and cut a slot in the rib to allow the support bracket to sit in it's correct locatiom. Any comments please ?? What's yours like ??
588 GR2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnbirchjar

Re: IP 11 Grab Rail

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Dave,
you sure you have the correct one?'cos I fitted one to my Classic soon after registering it for the road way back in '98,I bought it direct from the factory and they had it chromed for me(to mach the one on the o/side)and it bolted straight on,and if memory serves there was a rubber/plastic plug in the hole where the "tail"slotted into and (I think)bolted onto the frame,rgds,J.B.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Cheers John, looking at the AN parts drawings, the Classic bracket does look like it bolts on the the outer face of the frame, but the IP 11 bracket is different, bolting on the inner side of the frame. I am 90% of the way to hacking/mating it all up, and it does look OK so far Regards dp
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I didn't think there was any difference twix IP2's & Classic frames but obviously there is.
You going to the Sweden rally this year?JB.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Hi JB, no rallies for me this year I'm afraid. I am not totally happy with the way the bike is running, carb issue I think. My back is also recovering from wrestling with a BMW R1100GS I have just bought, fantastic bikes but jeez are they heavy !!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Sounds like the Beemer will have to go,(get something lighter?)ride safe,J.B.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Hi JB, I dare'nt sell the Bemmer, I've only just bought it and they do ride so nicley. It's more about technique when handling these beasts, which I have now got used to. An Ice Hockey Puck bolted to the over-short sidestand helps a huge amount too !
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

An Ice Hockey Putt!!? that novel.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Works a treat !
Ice Puck.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draxdave

Post by draxdave »

Grab rail now fitted after some minor butchery, the bracket fits perfectly "inside" the frame, all good in that department.

The carbs however are a different story. Out for a blast a few nights ago; came out of the Offy to find a pool of petrol under the bike and it would not start. On inspection, it seems that the fuel was leaking from the cold start spindle. I suppose that if petrol can lewak out, and a decent dribble too, then air will suck in when going for a start ? There is no obvious cause, no damaged to O rings or gaskets. The carbs were rebuilt 3k miles ago, so should not have leaked. A new set of seals etc is on its way from SU Burlen, so we will see how we get on. Could it have been sticking float needle causing an overflow ??
588Grab1.JPG
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I'ts that crappy Ethanol!!it eats the rubber diafram!!I got fed up with re-placing said diafram on the Classic,did away with the diafram,and fitted a normal ON/OFF petrol tap with the Norton fuel tap under it(for the reserve)worked a treat, no more leaking petrol tap,(just had to remember to switch it off,like old British bikes)J.B.