Rear chain size in quality

trevair

Rear chain size in quality

Post by trevair »

Hi all been to regina chains today for a new rear chain told them it was 112 links 5/8 * 3/8 but im told theres all different sizes for smal to large motorcycles does anyone know what i should be asking for please
Regards trev
trevair

Re: Rear chain size in quality

Post by trevair »

Might have put my question over wrong i looked in my commander parts book and it says 112 links 5/8 × 3/8
Now i thought that was all i needed to ask for apparently
Not there are all different sorts of this size for different sizes of bike cc wise and also power output
New one on me so what am i looking for
So im in your hand people wish they would have made it shaft
Regards trev
mick695

Post by mick695 »

Hi Trev

I recently put a new chain on my rotary... got it from The Chain Man...

I asked for the same as you and got what I asked for... 112 links 5/8 x 3/8 no ther questions asked....

Cheers

Mick
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

The chain is fully enclosed running in clean oil, the factory said that they should last the lifetime of the bike. If you are getting a new one I also recommend the chain man and get his very best.
Richard advises against a split link and recommends riveting the chain. Certainly replace the gaiters as new ones are available from Chris Harvey (see previous posts)
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

A new chain Trev?on a Commander?do tell,(a VERY rare occurrence evil,)J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

All,

I changed my chain this winter, my Commander has done 80k miles, the old one had stretched, I went to the chain man excellent service and quality, ordered in accordance with the information in the Commander book.

Tony
trevair

Post by trevair »

the bike has only done 29k miles but been stored for 19 years I'm restoring it all panels now sprayed orange sunset
but I'm diversifying the bike has been started and runs well after filling will oil etc
while i have the paniers etc off the gaiters are cracked no oil leaks though but need replacing I've got a new pair but while I'm doing this task i though for the cost it would just be better to replace the chain then i know its going to last
think now i will get old chain so i can take mine off completely and examine have cut top gaiter off and chain looks good other than play from side to side no rust etc
sorry to be a pain
wish id never got a rotary
regards trev
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Trev,

You will not be sorry when you get your bike on the road, once having ridden a Norton Rotary Commander you will be spoilt for anything else. I ride boxer BM's for a blood bike group, I just do not see what people like about those bikes.

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Trev,once you have ridden your Commander for a few hundred miles all will be forgiven Very Happy,J.B.
paultinwell

Post by paultinwell »

112 link, 525 size in modern parlance.
Good luck.