commander front mudguard fitting

trevair

commander front mudguard fitting

Post by trevair »

hi all is there a knack to refitting the front mudguard ie can it be put back on with the wheel in place or does it need removing which i know is probably the easiest way
trev
Clive603

Re: commander front mudguard fitting

Post by Clive603 »

Sounds like too much of a scratch risk with nice shiny fresh paint.

If my memory is correct fitting, or attempting to fit, the front mudguard with the wheel in place is on my don't try that again list!

I simply don't recall whether that was because it was a right palaver and not worth the fuss and effort to wiggle it in place or whether it just doesn't work. I suspect simply dropping the wheel with the front lifted by a carefully positioned jack may possibly make enough room. Saves unbolting the brake calipers. I know I've done that for something to do with the mudguard area.

That said I've finally accepted that it quicker to take stuff off for a clear field to work in than to wiggle and ferret through a confined space.

Clive
trevair

Post by trevair »

Hi clive i think your probably right i have bought an hydraulic lift now so im gonna do that next weekend wish id have got one jears ago but wouldt look good in my kitchen commamder would have been done in kitchen but would have never got it out eith panniers etc
Thanks for replying
trevair

Post by trevair »

Did you get your dzuz fasteners clive
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

Just out of interest I have a drain with cover in my drive which I remove and push the front wheel over the open space, then it is easy to remove the wheel.You still need a block under the engine to ensure the bike is stable. It is a rain water drain. You may need a cloths peck if you use a foul drain for this enterprise.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Tim,

Nice one.

I have a hydraulic lift with wooden top and in way of where the centre stand contacts the lift I screwed in place a square of plywood about 1 to 1.5 cm thick, once the bike is on the centre stand I use a heavy duty webbing strap to pull down the rear of the bike lifting the front wheel clear giving enough clearance to remove the wheel, for good measure I place a wooden block between the engine and lift just in case the webbing strap fails.

It works for me and is safe and secure.

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Or,just put the bike on the centre stand, jack under the engine close to the front jack it up 'til the rear tyre touches the floor and that should give you enough room to just drop the front wheel enough to fit the mudguard(just a suggestion, as I have never had to fit a front mudguard wink)J.B.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Trevair,

Bit late this, but the front wheel needs to come out otherwise you won't be able to tighten up the 2 fixing bolts and nuts.