Commander brake upgrade

trevair

Commander brake upgrade

Post by trevair »

Hi all ive been reading that with no engine to help slow the bike down some people have put 4 ppot calipers and discs
So my question is what 4 pots and discs will go onto the original forks
The bike is coming on resprayed
Regards trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tim harrison

Re: Commander brake upgrade

Post by tim harrison »

Hi Trevor, further to my previous reply, the four pot Billet calipers are listed on the Harrison Billet website. They are designed fit the XJ900 forks without the need for new discs or fork modification. They probably sell pads but I use 880 Ducati items.
Regards
Tim
Clive603

Post by Clive603 »

In my view the easiest and neatest 4 pot retrofit is the Yamaha FJ1200 et al calipers. Very small and simple bracket to span the gap between caliper top bolt and fork boss. Caliper fits on bottom boss and lays back about an inch at top boss. Caliper bosses need thinning about 1/8" to centralise the disk. Obviously, stainless steel braided lines and an extra bracket to keep the clear of the mudguard. Car type Tee joint under the bottom joke because Clive doesn't approve of banjo fittings or long lines from master cylinder to brakes as such have inherent bleeding issues. Standard brake master cylinder is fine. Locks the wheel at 100 mph (ish) without expreme pressure so I guess that its up to the job.

https://imgur.com/zWevLlA

Working bike picture, probably 70,000 miles up taken on a winter Friday night! Should you want to make your own. I've got all the design drawings and details, including brake line lengths, fittings et al. mine uses an old BMC era bronze Tee splitter. Should be an extra set of the brackets somewhere in the stores or I guess I should sell that set complete. Was working just fine when the bike went to Richard to be Supremed. Dry stored since so basic overhaul ought to be enough. Used cast iron disks as per picture and a brand new set if I still have them. Those forks have special to nuts to permit re-filling without taking the top nuts off. Compressing fork springs to get the caps on after refilling got old around 1977 so all my bikes have been refill friendly.

Clive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trevair

Post by trevair »

Has anyone else other than tim done the billet harrison caliper 4 pot lot of money if there no much better but if there like tim says might be worthwhile to put on even if i sell it
Regards trev
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

1010 had Brembo gold 4 pots
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
trevair

Post by trevair »

1010 is that brembo number
trev
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Nooooo 1010 was the famous factory prototype and originally started as an Aurora and tested different engines and upgrades during its life. It was then upgraded after being sold and I was lucky enough to own it for a while.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

VEEERRY NICE!!,I wonder who the lucky owner is now.J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

It's in a private collection in the Czech Republic
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If that is the case I would have thought the owner would have brought it to the NOC Rally in the Czech republic to show it off with the other two(that I saw)rotories,both Commanders,and it was a damn good rally!!J.B.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I think he is more a collector than a rider sadly.
Assen

Post by Assen »

I thought Ruben Fowles owned the bike? It was red when he bought it. Het changed the color into bleu.

Jannes
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I can never understand people who own fabulous machines(bikes and cars)and never(or hardly ever)use them on the road,well ok,sometimes on the race track wink,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

well thats life john, who would pay 15million for a van gogh or silly money for a statue but they do, and bikes are a bit cheaper i dont ride my triumph t150 or mv agusta much but if i didnt have them i couldnt ride them, and although bike prices seem to be coming down most people wont lose on a classic bike, unless you paid silly money in first place.
we only get one shot at life, if it makes you happy do it(as long as its legal)
just my view
best regards trev