Classic first start up

Ageing Rotarian

Classic first start up

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Happy new year gents, just had the Classic I acquired running for the first time and there is a slight difference in the characteristic’s to my replica.
My replica fast idles and then drops down onto a steady tick over as the temperature rises (as per the manual). The Classic starts readily, literally two or three rotations and it fired then ran, but settles down into a regular tick over almost instantly at around 8-900 rpm. The bikes picks up from tick over fine (no lag) and when the temp sensor is disconnected the tick over rises so I guess this is doing it’s job. Any thoughts why the difference in tick over between the two bikes?
Ignition boxes both seem to be Boyer in origin but don’t know if they are original.
Also noticed it is charging but that is probably the voltage regulator.
Any input will be appreciated
Regards
Roy
johnbirchjar

Re: Classic first start up

Post by johnbirchjar »

Could be that the mileage difference between the two bikes(assume the replica bike has done quite a few more miles than the Classic)and am I correct in thinking the Classic is a relatively low millage one?and requires very little(if any)choke to fire up from cold? 'cos my old Classic would fire up from cold with only a whisper of choke when new,and I put quite a few thousand miles on the clock before any serious choke was required,in any case,both bikes sound about right,so I wouldn't worry about either of them,(lucky old you!having two rotories to play with Very Happy)ride safe,J.B.
Ageing Rotarian

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Thanks for that John, replica has god knows what mileage (several rebuilds and a different speedo) but has recently been stripped by Graham and was found to be in reasonable shape with good moly coating.
The Classic is number 33 and has about 17000 miles on the clock and seems to have reasonable compressions etc. don’t know if it is ‘mollied’ do you remember how the factory identified moly coating?
The engine number just has a star each side of the LE033.
Regards
Roy
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

There was a rumour some years back that engines mollied at the factory had "Stars" both sides of the engine number,not sure if that true or not but I would think that someone out there in Rotory Land knows wink,ride safe,J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

i think you will find all the bikes had the 6 pronged star on a lot of motorbikes had these on, it was so nobody could change the engine number by adding another number before or on the end, as there is no room to do it between the stars mine has stars on but it hasent been molyied
regards trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for clearing that up Trev:J.B.