Post by GerryT »

What would be the best tyres to fit to a commander riding two up touring
could l have your opinion /choice please
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Re: tyres

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Gerry,

I do a lot of touring two up and have always used Pirelli Sport Demon front and rear, I have ridden through torrential rain in Germany, 30 + temperatures in France and Italy all without issue.

Tony
tim harrison

Post by tim harrison »

I use Avon Roadriders, I have ,like Tony, used them in all conditions and they are relatively inexpensive.
Ian

Post by Ian »

S'funny, but I could never get on with Avons, nor Continentals.

Found Bridgestone BT45 on a recommendation and have stayed with them. I like them, but that's just my preference.
PhilipFleming588

Post by PhilipFleming588 »

I bought my Commander earlier this year and it came with Avon Roadriders which I quite like on other bikes. The bike appears to be quite standard but the rear tyre is 120/90V which is wider than the standard profile of 110/90V. I can see no evidence of the tyre rubbing anywhere. I only ride solo and have a slight weave at 70-80 mph but I think this is due to the aerodynamics of the bike (yes I have checked for play in the swinging arm and tyre alignment etc.).

I will need to replace the rear tyre next year. Avon only make a Roadrider in 120/90V for an 18" rim, not the standard 110/90V. Does anybody have any comments regarding the relative merits of different profile sizes?

Philip
GerryT

Post by GerryT »

thank you l now have some choices to look at
PhilipFleming588

Post by PhilipFleming588 »

Checked the Avon website again and I made a mistake. Avon do make a 110/90V Roadrider for an 18" diameter rim, sorry my bad.

I noticed that the 120/90V has a preferred rim width of 2.75" which corresponds exactly to the rear wheel rim width as specified in the owners' manual. The 100/90V has a preferred rim width of 2.5". So for the rear tyre you can either have the wrong profile with the correct rim width or the right profile with the wrong rim width! For the front tyre the Roadrider preferred rim width is 2.5" whereas the manual states 2.15". I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

I also noticed that the 120/90V has a 12mm larger diameter than the 110/90V, which may explain why my existing 120/90V only just clears the ground when the bike is on the centre stand.

Question still stands, does anybody have comments regarding the relative merits in performance between the 120/90V and a 110/90V, or is the difference negligible for ordinary road use?