IP2 starter motor

paultinwell

IP2 starter motor

Post by paultinwell »

Hello people,
I'm looking for alternatives to an aging starter motor on a Norton IP2. Finding a used one or rewinding my existing one is entirely possible, but does anyone know of a more modern adaptation? More reliable, lighter and more powerful are all desirable attributes. Can anyone push me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers... Paul
D Bracey DB6

Re: IP2 starter motor

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Hi Paul,

I think you’ll be best served having your one refurbished. I can recommend Broadway Electrical Services. They did mine really well but am sure there are plenty of others.

David
paultinwell

Post by paultinwell »

Thanks David. I was really hoping for something lighter as the thing weighs way too much.
I did find some related musings for a Commando starter based on some Japanese bike's motor, but details were very thin. I may have to reinvent the wheel a little...

Cheers... Paul
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Well good luck with your quest smiley,it sounds like realy daunting task cry, surly it must be darn sight easier just to have the old one re-wound exclaim J.B.
PhilipFleming588

Post by PhilipFleming588 »

Dave Madigan makes starter motors for Triumph/BSA tripples. I believe the Commander starter is the same as the one used on the T160 Trident, so maybe his starter could be used. I understand that his motors are lighter and more powerful than the Lucas model. See attachment for his parts list. Also agree that motors from other modern bikes could be made to fit.

I would also like to save some weight on my Commander so please let us know which way you choose

Regards
Philip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.