trevair

clutch cable cover

Post by trevair »

is there an easy way to get this off mines well stuck on soaking now in wd
regards trev
Clive603

Re: clutch cable cover

Post by Clive603 »

O ring holds it too firmly if its not been properly fitted with a smear of red rubber grease.

Not convinced by WD40 as a releaser. WD means water dispersant not lubricating or releasing. Despite widespread use its crap at both. Plus Gas is usually better although it will most likely damage the O ring sufficiently to preclude re-use.

Sometimes rotating the cover will help. Needs a pin spanner sort of doobie. Not hammer'n drift. When away from home I've gotten creative with wood, chipboard or whatever and allen caphead screws. Its not that tight so great strength is not needed.

Best fix is to tap a thread into the cover holes and screw a bolt in part way so you have something to pull. If it seems stubborn put a grub screw or similar into the screw holes to protect the thread and jack it off carefully. Bit at a time on each screw.

I've been known to make proper expanders to grab the hole in such situations but I have the workshop'n kit to do it. Usually I just put a thread in, M7 x 1 is best choice for pulling but normal folk can't easily find taps or bolts. M8 will work OK and a little safer as a pusher.

Clive
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

I agree with Clive, one each hole in my clutch cover, gearbox cover and water pump cover are all tapped M8.

On an old and used rotary there is a good chance your cover(s) are already tapped
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have a suction cup with slide hammer for dent removal.
They are not expensive.

I would warm up the cover to soften the oring

Regards Wayne.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

If memory serves the holes in the cover plate on my Classic were already threaded from new,(can't remember the size though,8mm?)J.B.
trevair

Post by trevair »

thanks all sorted now think im gonna have to get bike lift with 2 titanium knees its hard getting down
thank trev
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

I know the feeling evil,J.B.