moly coating

trevair

moly coating

Post by trevair »

what i would like to know is it be all and end all to the rotaries, are there downsides has it ever come off and if it has did it wreck engibe completely and how do you know if its been done right i would like to know wether i decide to strip mine down and get done its this winter or never getting to old
regards trev
trevair

Re: moly coating

Post by trevair »

hi
im suprised ive had no comments on the moly coating maybe none has gone wrong may leave mine runs ok just miles of fibreglass to spray took 6 hours to rub down with orbital sander and by hand in awkward places but should be mint when ive done
trev
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well, I'm not a rotary engineer and I've never worked for Norton but I have had two rotaries.

My longest-serving is a Commander of 1992 vintage that needed molying when I bought it in 1995. Since then it's been no bother and no issues with the molying yet.

The second was an early IP2, engine 3021, that I bought completely shot, everything, and the rebuild included moly coating. I ran it for a while and sold it three years ago. .the current owner is still riding it.

So, I reckon moly coating is a good thing and at least you can restart the engine when hot.

People like Richard Negus and Graham Wilshaw are the ones who really know.

Ian
Clive603

Post by Clive603 »

Moly coating is basically there to prevent seal / sideplate scuffing when there is insufficient lubrication around.

As when starting up after the engine has been stationary for long enough to allow all the oil to drain off the plates. The references I've seen suggest that oil persistence is pretty good in Nortons version of the rotary engine so if the bike is in something approaching regular use it will do OK without moly. Certainly both mine were fine sans moly when clocking up 25,000 or so miles a year commuting et al.

After redundancy mileage dropped to 2,000 or less per annum so I'm glad Richard did the moly coating thing the rest of the Supreme upgrades. As well as arranging the DLC coatings on the gearbox innards which I'd asked for to, hopefully, prolong gearbox life under intermittent use.

Helps that mine lives in a garage attached to the house with an appropriately "Clive over engineered" bifold door to keep the weather out. Not perhaps up to M. Bugatti demanding that "A gentleman should have a heated motor house" but its pretty snug. But I'm no gentleman and the next person who brings me a bit of Bugatti to sort will have a free vocabulary enhancement experience.

Clive