advice 0n tt1 not wiring

trevair

advice 0n tt1 not wiring

Post by trevair »

in a bit of a dilema my bike is stripped down so easy to get to i have just bought mini mag tt1 cheap brand new with connector to fit on old wiring, my bike is using the standard ign box and seems to run ok. so should i replace while im at the stage im at or should i wait till old boyer croaks will
what are the chances that this old boyer will give out after 30years but only 25k miles
regards trev
johnbirchjar

Re: advice 0n tt1 not wiring

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Trev,
You didn't mention what bike you have but if it helps, the original Boyer on my Classic didn't last that many thousands of miles(4 or 5?),but this was due to where the Boyer was mounted,(back to back with the VCR)which as you are probably aware, do get rather warm evil, and because they were mounted behind the N/S side panel,did't get much cooling air round them,so both Boyer and VCR got fried evil,I replaced both items THREE TIMES exclaim before I twigged what the problem was and moved the VCR away from the Ignition Box(now a Minimag)to where it got some cooling air round it Very Happy, and never had the problem again in 40odd thousand miles,so in answer to your question as to removing the Boyer? I am sure someone in the club will tell you how many miles(years)they have used theirs,ride safe,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Trev,

My bike had a Boyer for possibly 50,000 miles, however as I do a lot of long distance rides and did not want to get caught out with a failed ignition box far from home, I purchased a Minimag, made all the connections and ran the bike with the new ignition box for a while to make sure all was good, I then reconnected the Boyer and stowed away the Mininmag.

In 2019 at the IoM I went to start the bike and no go did all the usual checks still not running connected the Minimag just in case and the bike ran, so if you are going to use your bike and may be far from home my advice is to wire in your Minimag check that it is OK then reconnect the Boyer and stow the Minimag in a pannier.

Amongst some other essential spares, I carry both a spare Minimag and a voltage regulator just in case, not having either would result in being rescued.

Tony
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Trev,
Re: Tony's advice, I also carried a spare Ign:Box,and I was pleased that I did Very Happy ,(at a Beezumph Track Day at Cadwell)when the one on the bike got fried evil(see previous post)J.B.
Clive603

Post by Clive603 »

Being unimpressed with the cooling (non) arrangements and dubious of the reliability of older electronic ignitions I fabricated a slot in "holster" out of sheet alloy for the standard ignition box and stuck it to the front of the tank. A tension spring across the front kept the box in place. Standard wiring harness reached OK.

Worked fine on both bikes. Never needed the spare, just in case, box that I kept in the tail compartment along with the "just in case" spare plugs and bulbs. None of which got used either. Come to think of it I don't recall ever changing bulbs in 180,000 or so (frankly I've lost count!) Commander miles on the two bikes.

No idea what happened to the holster on the first bike. I imagine Carl Rosner ripped it off after I traded the bike in along with a couple of other essential mods like the exhaust downwards deflector extensions needed with my version of the Krauser Commander to stop the backs of the panniers being covered in soot. I never bothered to sort the tail end aerodynamics or shift the mounting arms out so the indicators were at the legal minimum spacing.

I suspect the second one went into Richards sample box of "crazy things customers" do when he did the Supreme conversion. I do wonder what happened to the twin tap fuel tank tho'. Putting a second tap on the other side with the tank in situ needed some creativity.

Biggest weak point I found with Commander electrics is the multi-wire earth tag going to the frame on the right. Too many wires for the tag crimp joint. the crimp worked loose on one of mine mid flight and stopped everything. Hefty squeeze with pliers fixed it. Never managed to get enough round-tu-its to do a proper fix.

Clive