Air cooled engine coatings

Ageing Rotarian

Air cooled engine coatings

Post by Ageing Rotarian »

Dear all, having my classic replica breathed on by Graham and have been discussing how to improve the overall appearance of said engine casings as some of the original coating is missing and the rest in general poor condition.
I have seen other posts on the subject, but unless I have missed it there doesn’t seem to be a definitive solution as to a replacement coating, whether it be powder or paint.
Can anyone shed any light on if they have successfully recoated the castings and what the finish was like?
Sorry if I am going over old ground
Thanks in advance
Roy
trevair

Re: Air cooled engine coatings

Post by trevair »

Hi roy
Powder coating isnt good for alloy any corrosion left will cause pop when heated alloy products are anodised but as with both neither can be filled if not smooth
There are paints on the market for engines which stand the temp i spray a lot of my bikes with 2k but dont know the ultimate temp will check tomorrow
Regards trev
Ageing Rotarian

Thanks for the info Trev, I did have a discussion regarding just leaving the finning bare. The train of thought being it would offer better heat dissipation, but to be honest I think it would be maintenance headache trying to keep up appearances and avoid corrosion.
Any information is appreciated.
Regards
Roy
trevair

Post by trevair »

i think your right roy
i bought a commander im renovating but wish i had classic i think the fins on the classic look brilliant unlike any other bike it is what it says a CLASSIC
i am looking for one but think there too expensive for me unless i can get basket case
regards trev
trevair

Post by trevair »

where are you roy
Ageing Rotarian

Hi, I am in bury st Edmund's but the bike is with Graham In Leeds.
Regards
Roy
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Ageing Rotarian,

I had my ( Air- Cooled) engine castings stripped of powder coating when I had the engine in pieces 20+ years ago.
To achieve this, I had the castings chemically stripped, then shot blasted. Though today I would have used soda blasting instead of shot
blasting.
The motor definitely runs cooler, and looks better.
I don't ride when salt is on the road, so corrosion is of no consequence.

John.
Ageing Rotarian

Thanks for that John, do you have any pictures of the engine without its coating?
Regards
Roy
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Sorry for delay in replying.

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the "bare" unpainted engine, but believe me, it'll look a lot better
with the paint removed.
With the modern soda blasting process, even better still.....
Ageing Rotarian

Ok John understand.
We have hit a bit of a snag with the chemical stripping of the engine cases. Do you have the details of the guys that chemically stripped the cases so I can give them a call and see what process they used?
So far the 64 million dollar question is, “will it effect the moly” as the only people that have been contacted so far use a caustic soda solution which sounds very aggressive.
Thanks
Roy