koni shocks repair

trevair

koni shocks repair

Post by trevair »

does anyone know a good company in lancashire or surround who can service my koni shocks they dont look really bad in fact good but wouldnt know how to test would like to keep originals
regards trev
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Re: koni shocks repair

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Clive603

Post by Clive603 »

There may be issues with parts supply for motorcycle dampers.

Koni pulled out of the motorcycle damper business around 2000 / 2001. Ikon bought the rights to use the technology and started making very similar units.

Distributor is Ikon Shocks UK :- https://ikonshocks.co.uk .

They still list a fitment for the Commander as part 7610-1283 which is the same type number as the original Koni. Whether the innards are the same I don't know. Hopefully there has been some improvement over the years as it was well old fashioned and not an exceptionally good performer even then. Unsurprising as that basic first came out in the late 1970's or thereabouts.

Ikon Shocks UK seem to be the same folk as Performance Parts Ltd, an older website implies they do offer a rebuild service

https://www.performanceparts-ltd.com/me ... suspension

but I suspect that is more for the racer folk.

I still have two relatively low mileage sets of ex Commander Koni dial-a-ride dampers on the shelf. Probably 20 to 30,000 miles old. Plan A was to rebuild but kits became unobtainium retail ages ago. Maybe before my Commander days started.

I reckoned Koni dampers were past it by around 25,000 miles. Regrettably, from the ordinary road riders point of view, motorcycle suspension performance has always been pretty depressing once bikes got up past 400 - 450 lb dry weight. Probably because development riders tend to be enthusiastic and aggressive with obvious implications concerning frequency response!

Clive
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Clive,
Not quite sure by what you mean by "past it" with Koni Dampers,I used my Classic "Enthusiastically " on Bezumph Track Days over the 10/15 years that I attended those events Very Happy and found the old girl performed admirably with regards to the road holding cool(or anything else for that matter wink),and the bike had covered best part of 70,000miles when I sold her last year and never had any problems at all with the suspension.J.B.
re5rotary

Post by re5rotary »

Repair kits are available from Ikon and the seals etc fit the old Konis without problem. I have rebuilt the ones on my Commander and they work fine or at least as well as they ever did regards Terry
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I have a brand new set in box that I had for my Classic will put on Ebay
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
trevair

Post by trevair »

How much save on ebay
Trev
PhilipFleming588

Post by PhilipFleming588 »

Just picking up on this old thread. The damping on my Koni shocks is pretty poor so I am thinking about buying new replacements from Ikon. If you look at their website they recommend a 235 spring for a Commander. My shocks have 215 springs which I assume were the original fitment. I only ride solo (I'm 75kg) and have the springs in the middle setting unladen and hardest setting when fully laden, so maybe the stronger springs on the lowest setting would achieve the same result.

Has anybody used the 235 springs or got a view on the differences?

Other option is to rebuild my existing shocks like Terry did

Regards
Philip
PhilipFleming588

Post by PhilipFleming588 »

Just checked the Commander workshop manual and apparently the number on the spring refers to the spring length, not the spring rate.
So:
My bike 215
Ikon website 235 (7610-1283 15/21/26)
Workshop manual 250 (7610-1283 15/21/28)

Which one would you choose!

Regards
Philip