Ignition and Voltage Regulator units.

Rotating588

Ignition and Voltage Regulator units.

Post by Rotating588 »

Hi and can I bore you yet again for a word of advice. I have finally sorted out the "demonstrator's" wiring sorted out, after a couple of of enforced delays, but with 12V connected both the ignition unit and the regulator blow their fuses -0h and smokes a bit at first.

I am now left with the choice; do I get my spark rites' units repaired or renewed or go for something else, but what else?

If I am going down the sparkrite route do I also have my retard box looked at at the same time - I do like a soft quiet gentle tickover?

I hope you all have a very happy Christmas and an even better 2021.

Roger
johnbirchjar

Re: Ignition and Voltage Regulator units.

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi 588,contact Julian at "Minimag(on the Isle of White)his replacement Ignition boxes are superb,I had one on my Classic for about 15/20years(Still on it when I sold it last March Very Happy,)and the bike ticked over like the proverbial Swiss Watch cool.
Have a cool Yule,SVF,J.B.
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Thanks John, and I did contact Minimags who responded almost immediately with details. Julian also suggested I contact Richard Negus [who repaired the gearbox on my first IP2 and Molyed my end plates] as Richard also does an ignition also Andover N. So Richard will you please let me have details of your bits, is it just ignition or do you also do the voltage regulator as well? With Minimag units I have to change coils and a couple of other things as well.

I still have to decide whether or not to have my Start rite units repaired/updated.

I hope you have all had a good Christmas so far, let's all look forward to a better 2021, 2020 didn't happen!

Regards Roger
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi 588,are you sure about having to change the Coils and other things to fit a Minimag?'cos I'm sure I didn't have to change a thing on the Classic(I assume your bike is an air cooled model?)but if you contact Richard I'm sure he will put you right,SVF,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Roger/John,

When the original Boyer unit failed while in the IoM 2019 I fitted my spare previously set up Mini Mag to my Commander, I did not change any other components, trigger or coils.

Tony
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Minimag did email saying coils and leads etc had to be changed. I will need to replace the coils anyway as one is way out on resistance and I would change the HT leads as a matter of course, the IP2 has not been taxed since 2011. I think the previous owner must have kept the engine lubricated as it turns over on the rear wheel and the starter sounded good as well - well here's hoping.

Thanks for your replies. Roger
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Julian(at Minimag)must know what he is talking about,but I must go along with A.D.Esq:'cos I didn't have to change a thing,SVF,JB
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

I also changed from Boyer to MiniMag and nothing else was changed! It was fitted by Richard.