Which Battery?

Rotating588

Which Battery?

Post by Rotating588 »

I was brought up on lead acid batteries but might consider newer technology but do I go Lithium, AGM or GEL?

What is the difference?

Is there an advantage over lead/acid?

On visiting various battery manufacturers' websites believe it or believe it not they all say their's is best!

Unbiased advice is always best so before I place an order I wonder what your experiences are?

The IP2 manual says 14 Amp/Hr battery should be used but I suppose a higher rating will not matter - or will it? Harley D use 30 Amp/Hr batteries.

If this subject has been previously discussed in this forum please point me in the right direction to look?

Many thanks Roger
johnbirchjar

Re: Which Battery?

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Rog: I'm sure you wont need a 30 amp/hr battery like the one on your Harley wink (that's about the same as I fit to my diesel Bora)seeing as a baby Harley has an engine thats almost twice the cc of any rotary,but I'm sure one of the lads will put you right,SVF,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Further to yesterdays blog,
The battery on my Honda Deauville is a Bosch Gel 8ah and was on the bike when I bought it over six years ago exclaim,(which is in stark contrast to the Lead Acid's that I always fitted to the Classic that only lasted on average for about three years cry)
While"Not Teaching Granny to Suck Eggs" I always bring my bike batteries into the house for the winter(my garage not being centrally heated wink)'cos we all know how batteries just LOVE the cold evil.
I suspect the reason that Nortons recommended 14ah batts: for the IP2's was they were mostly used by the MOD and Police and the extra Ah's were for the extra "goodies" used by them ("Blues & Two's, Radios,ect cool)
Hope this helps,SVF,J.B.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

John,

I converted from two batteries to one for my Commander many years ago, the battery pictures is at least 4 years old, and is still in good condition.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Hi Tony, thanks for your reply. What type of battery is it? Is lead acid or GEL or Lithium?

Roger
gordon akehurst

Post by gordon akehurst »

Hi Roger
i have the misfortune to work for a battery supplier(ps only joking)
as an upgrade i would suggest a Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS, this is an AGM type and same size as the std YB14L-A2
however it has 210cca capacity instead of 175cca of the std type
Being AGM it is sealed and leakproof (acid absorbed within the plates) and should provide good service
providing you charge every 6-8 weeks if you are not using the bike as you would do with any battery
I have a cheepo Lucas YB14L-A2 on my Classis watercooled replica and have had no problems after 2 years yet!!

best regards Gordon
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Roger,

My battery is lead acid, very occasionally topped up with distilled water.

Tony
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Thanks for for your replies, so far it seems AGM is in front but Gordon what is 210ccs, is it something to do with energy density?

Thanks Roger
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Sorry I meant 210cca.
Rotating588

Post by Rotating588 »

Sorry I meant 210cca.
D Bracey DB6

Post by D Bracey DB6 »

Cold Cranking Amps
gordon akehurst

Post by gordon akehurst »

H Roger
yes cca is cold cranking amps, the higher the better as the battery will have an easier life ,have a look at the Yuasa website and look at the data sheet for the YTX14AHL-BS
you will see that it is the same size and terminal layout as the YB14l-A2

Gordon
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

There you go Roger,more information than you can shake a stick at Very Happy.
Have a good Christmas everybody and SVF(especially now we have a new strain to contend with evil evil)J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi Roger

I use Red Top Batteries from Demon Tweeks, they are AGM which are used in light aircraft and racing cars and can be used on their side or upside down.
They don't spill acid! They come in a range of physical sizes and have high cranking outputs which is why i use them on my T160 electric start Trident.
They will have no problem spinning over a Rotary.
Order online and receive in the post. View online, great catalogue for many other things also.
Good luck
Dave